• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers—looking for fit & ease of installation

Don't have to remove engine mounts.
Is that w power steering, not saying it can't be done. I think the mount could certainly stay w manual steering. I am just trying to remember how it went from memory...Lol and I could be off. I recall taking off the driverside mount, which I didn't think was a big deal, it freed up some room.

Have you ever done headers before ? What is your skill level ? You're asking very rudimentary questions.
Yes, on small block cars.....skill level? I'd like to think I can spin a wrench...rudimentary? Now I've got to look THAT up

Sounds like maybe manifolds will be best for you. But you’ll still need to open the hood.

Is that w power steering, not saying it can't be done. I think the mount could certainly stay w manual steering. I am just trying to remember how it went from memory...Lol and I could be off. I recall taking off the driverside mount, which I didn't think was a big deal, it freed up some room.
Yeah, done it a number of times, as with the Hooker comps on my current 70 RR. I know what you mean about memory, I'd done many over the past 55 years. I only remember the bitch jobs, and this ain't one of them.

Yeah, done it a number of times, as with the Hooker comps on my current 70 RR. I know what you mean about memory, I'd done many over the past 55 years. I only remember the bitch jobs, and this ain't one of them.
We just beat the hell out of some b body hedmans to fit on a 383 in a 67 valiant..
Ten times we had the headers out...we got them beat into submission finally! But after about the 3rd time we started to wonder why didnt we put this in a b body instead. It woulda been cake!
All in the name of speed I guess! :steering:
Roadkill project!

20240224_174321.jpg

Last edited:
We just beat the hell out of some b body hedmans to fit on a 383 in a 67 valiant..
Ten times we had the headers out...we got them beat into submission finally! But after about the 3rd time we started to wonder why the hell didnt we put that in a b body instead. It woulda been cake!
All in the name of speed I guess! :steering:
Roadkill project!

View attachment 1636906
Been there and done that. Then I got a second hand set of tti's and they fit great.

20170528_134508.jpg

Inexpensive headers that are easy to install on a big block B-body don’t exist. At minimum the steering center link will have to be disconnected from the pitman and idler arms and the long bolts through both motor mounts will have to be removed. The starter will have to come out as well. Every set I’ve installed (many) went in from the bottom. Working at a leisurely pace it can be done in a weekend, assuming things come apart without complications.

Anybody ever use the Schumacher tri-y's on a big block B body?
Other than the cost, they work very well. Used them both on B bodies. 65 with a B engine and and a 72 with a RB engine.

Other than the cost, they work very well. Used them both on B bodies. 65 with a B engine and and a 72 with a RB engine.
And a 6 week wait for new ones!

Auto Transport Service
Back