• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heartbreaking News About My Charger

stushug

Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
On Sep 2, 2023 the unthinkable happened. First and foremost, let me say that thankfully, no-one was physically harmed. My 1968 Dodge Charger R/T caught fire inside of the garage, which is integral to my home. I can't post any pictures at the moment because the garage is sealed off like a crime scene. Preliminary investigations seem to be showing that it was fuel related. The car was idling for a few minutes to let everything warm up before I took her out for a ride. Suddenly there were flames in and around the carburetor, and within minutes it was completely out of control. It looks to me like the insurance company will want to total the car, but I'd really like to try to save her. She was a rotisserie restoration that scored 90 out of 100 at the Mopar Nationals in 2009. The car is all numbers matching, which has been verified numerous times. Unfortunately, the car was undervalued in my policy, and I'm guessing from today's prices would leave me at least 100K short of what a rebuild would cost. The other sad thing is my son's 69 Charger R/T was sitting next to mine was also burned badly. His was a real R/T also, but it was in a state of disrepair because he was just starting his restoration. At this point, he is in the same financial circumstance as me. He's kind of resigned to taking the insurance money as letting them take his car. I personally don't want to see either one go to the crusher, but we're hoping that given the history (23 years of ownership) and it being such a perfect example of a 68 R/T that it was, I can save one car, at least. To compound matters, I also have a 1970 Cadillac DeVille that was sitting outside behind the 69 that received fire damage. It seems to be manageable under my coverage so I think I'll ok with some minimal paintwork on the front of the car, from the windshield forward.
Since the garage is integral to my home, the fire spread throughout the house and it's going to be a to internal gut before it can be rebuilt. The house of course, is my main concern, since it is the only home for myself, my son and my 12 year old granddaughter, but I would still like to try to do everything possible to save the 68. Some friends have set up a gofundme page, so any help that anyone can give will be greatly appreciated I'm including a link here. Thank you, and God bless.

Birdland Community home lost to a fire, organized by Birdland Residents

Last edited:
Maybe you can strike a deal with insurance company keep the cars for a little less money. That is a kick in the nuts. Hope thing go your and your sons way.

Glad it sounds like everyone is ok though. That could have gone even more sideways. Hope you can alleviate some of the heartache by salvaging one or more of those cars man.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you get everything sorted with your insurer, and maybe you can save your cars. But the main thing is that you guys are OK.

I keep my car insured through Hagerty with a declared valuation. This year I added their "Cherished Salvage" coverage, which means in a situation like this they pay out the declared value, and you keep the car without penalty. Piece of mind.

Man I hope things get better for you. Glad you and your family are ok.

That could have been a lot worse. Losing your car, garage, and part of the house is bad enough. Had you been having fuel issues? Electric pump with a pressure regulator? How about rubber fuel line or plastic filter that could have sprung a leak?

Know your State's laws and your Rights before you sign anything on the cars. Some companies will total it and offer the option to purchase to the owner. Some think they are now the owners and will total cars that look to me, too valuable to total. Nobody will crush a 68 Charger; they will sell it if they get a chance. If you have the wherewithal, you can, in the end repair it yourself and submit the receipts for compensation. I've bought burn cars for their drivetrains and had great luck as the heat goes up.

My engine fire was a failed rubber hose.

So sorry to hear of the property destruction, but happy no one was injured. Key things I often say in conversation, with car in home garages: disconnect the electrical system immediately entering the garage & only re-connect when leaving, such as a battery cutoff device; never idle a car inside a home garage, it can idle just as well outside; a fire extinguisher must always be at the ready, in the car AND in the garage.

On Sep 2, 2023 the unthinkable happened. First and foremost, let me say that thankfully, no-one was physically harmed. My 1968 Dodge Charger R/T caught fire inside of the garage, which is integral to my home. I can't post any pictures at the moment because the garage is sealed off like a crime scene. Preliminary investigations seem to be showing that it was fuel related. The car was idling for a few minutes to let everything warm up before I took her out for a ride. Suddenly there were flames in and around the carburetor, and within minutes it was completely out of control. It looks to me like the insurance company will want to total the car, but I'd really like to try to save her. She was a rotisserie restoration that scored 90 out of 100 at the Mopar Nationals in 2009. The car is all numbers matching, which has been verified numerous times. Unfortunately, the car was undervalued in my policy, and I'm guessing from today's prices would leave me at least 100K short of what a rebuild would cost. The other sad thing is my son's 69 Charger R/T was sitting next to mine was also burned badly. His was a real R/T also, but it was in a state of disrepair because he was just starting his restoration. At this point, he is in the same financial circumstance as me. He's kind of resigned to taking the insurance money as letting them take his car. I personally don't want to see either one go to the crusher, but we're hoping that given the history (23 years of ownership) and it being such a perfect example of a 68 R/T that it was, I can save one car, at least. To compound matters, I also have a 1970 Cadillac DeVille that was sitting outside behind the 69 that received fire damage. It seems to be manageable under my coverage so I think I'll ok with some minimal paintwork on the front of the car, from the windshield forward.
Since the garage is integral to my home, the fire spread throughout the house and it's going to be a to internal gut before it can be rebuilt. The house of course, is my main concern, since it is the only home for myself, my son and my 12 year old granddaughter, but I would still like to try to do everything possible to save the 68. Some friends have set up a gofundme page, so any help that anyone can give will be greatly appreciated I'm including a link here. Thank you, and God bless.

Birdland Community home lost to a fire, organized by Birdland Residents
Blessings your way to you and yours

I feel for you, glad to hear everyone is ok. Just take your time and don’t rush anything and read the fine print and ask questions. Best of luck! God bless.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you get everything sorted with your insurer, and maybe you can save your cars. But the main thing is that you guys are OK.

I keep my car insured through Hagerty with a declared valuation. This year I added their "Cherished Salvage" coverage, which means in a situation like this they pay out the declared value, and you keep the car without penalty. Piece of mind.
I have the same Hagerty police on my car also that I get to keep it no matter what happens

I have the same Hagerty police on my car also that I get to keep it no matter what happens
I just signed up with Hagerty, is this standard, or do you have to added it?

Know your State's laws and your Rights before you sign anything on the cars. Some companies will total it and offer the option to purchase to the owner. Some think they are now the owners and will total cars that look to me, too valuable to total. Nobody will crush a 68 Charger; they will sell it if they get a chance. If you have the wherewithal, you can, in the end repair it yourself and submit the receipts for compensation. I've bought burn cars for their drivetrains and had great luck as the heat goes up.

My engine fire was a failed rubber hose.

The modern fuels with ethanol in them break down the rubber fuel hoses until they crack and leak. I went to get Chinese food with my friends and when I came out there was a puddle of gas under my fuel pump. The hose was dry rotted and split. It was three years old! Fortunately for me there was an auto parts store in the plaza where we were dining at. Check those rubber hoses regularly.

Sucks to hear about the loss of the Chargers and the damage to your home! Glad to here no one was hurt. If they are structurally sound,underneath the sheet metal can be replaced.

The modern fuels with ethanol in them break down the rubber fuel hoses until they crack and leak. I went to get Chinese food with my friends and when I came out there was a puddle of gas under my fuel pump. The hose was dry rotted and split. It was three years old! Fortunately for me there was an auto parts store in the plaza where we were dining at. Check those rubber hoses regularly.
Recommend changing all standard rubber fuel lines with hose rated for fuel injection.

Screenshot_20230913_094338_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yep, I bought fuel injection hose for all of the rubber connections for the Charger...cheap insurance

Auto Transport Service
Back