• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Core...can i romove without removing whole box?

Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
69 Satellite non AC car.

So one problem fixed, found another. Passenger side carpet is wet so I'm leaking coolant out of the heater core I'm guessing. Only thing that makes sense. I looked at the box and it appears if you remove the cover and remove the bolts and loosen the bracket/clamp for the heater core outlet/inlet it should pull right out.

Is this correct or do I have to remove the whole box? I've done it the other way with other vehicles before just not sure if it'll work on a b body.

Here's the core from behind, not sure you can pull it out front the front. maybe if you twist it and turn it a certain way it might get snaked out the front.

IMG_2447.JPG IMG_2446.JPG

I'll have to take off the cover and look. It doesn't appear to have any brackets that hold down the inlet/outlet to the core. I have some rubber plugs to plug up the core. So if I twist and turn I won't have to worry about coolant pouring out.

You can't remove the heater core from the front cover the back of the box has a cover that has to be removed to access the heater core. I won't say it cant be done but I think complete removal of the heater box is in order.

You can't remove the heater core from the front cover the back of the box has a cover that has to be removed to access the heater core. I won't say it cant be done but I think complete removal of the heater box is in order.

I meant the panel that faces the seats. I don't think there is a panel on the side that faces the firewall. I could be wrong.

yes, there is a back panel, the entire heater box is enclosed. Here's a picture of the bulk head side of the box with back panel removed.

I meant the panel that faces the seats. I don't think there is a panel on the side that faces the firewall. I could be wrong.

IMG_2446.JPG

With all due respect....if you're pulling the core because of a leak, might I suggest you pull the entire thing and give it a real good refresh.

There are some cool threads here with guys showing how easy it is, and they look awesome when done. The kits are reasonably priced, and the job is not beyond the average car enthusiast.:thumbsup:

It looks intimidating for sure, but taking it out and cleaning the box goes a long way.....no more dirt in your eyes. If there is a console it has to me removed.

With all due respect....if you're pulling the core because of a leak, might I suggest you pull the entire thing and give it a real good refresh.

There are some cool threads here with guys showing how easy it is, and they look awesome when done. The kits are reasonably priced, and the job is not beyond the average car enthusiast.:thumbsup:

I've searched the threads and don't see a step by step thread. Do you recommend using a gasket kit or window sealer like I noticed in some of the threads.

It looks intimidating for sure, but taking it out and cleaning the box goes a long way.....no more dirt in your eyes. If there is a console it has to me removed.

I'm pretty sure this car has original miles at 58k. I have shop receipts from the 90's where the mileage is lower, around 51k. Not any dirt and I think I turned on the heater/defroster once when the car arrived just to check everything to see if it works. This car is surprisingly clean.

I'll take it out and clean it all up anyway.

Nevermind. Found this at https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/b-body-66-70-big-non-ac-heater-box-restoration-kit/

Looks like it has everything I need to freshen it up.

That Detroit kit is nice, has everything you need.

And here's a picture of the back of the heater box with the cover on. Note the foam gaskets that will mount up the bulkhead once installed.

IMG_2476.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back