• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellcat Swap 71 Bbody

So I think Everything is downhill now
I start to install trans and one of the discs slips out of position .

Pull everything apart , too-cold to f around in shop so i get hoist into assembly room .
Reattached the lift slings
Got it all realigned everything retorqued -
And then Transmission wont bolt up to bh .

Look at input shaft on 855
Measured hellcat crank pilot hole
Asked everyone on FB if quicktime BH has discrepancies.. noone knows .

Measured 833 shaft
Looked at other drilled cranks .
Everything looked close +- .050

Pull trans out again and trimmed input shaft
Finally it slid in nicely.

Then I tried to put starter in .
It wont fit .

Hellcat swap on FB said all you need to do is trim/ grind a little bit ..
yeh right ..

Im still chewing on steel powder .

I looked at my oil filter and realized that with the hellcat oil cooler housing is touching the rack - crap.

Move two cars,
Get the engine lift back into heated area and lift the engine again.

Pulled the housing off the engine
Now I cannot cool the oil the stock way.

So I ordered a new nipple and guess i cant drive the car in Arizona for 6 hours straight.

Does Anyone have a recipe on how to do these swaps correctly the first time around ? Lol

View attachment 1630324

View attachment 1630325

View attachment 1630326

View attachment 1630327
I was also shocked at how much grinding was necessary to fit the starter on my 6.4. A picture like yours would have gone a long way to setting expectations.

I was also shocked at how much grinding was necessary to fit the starter on my 6.4. A picture like yours would have gone a long way to setting expectations.
There might be another starter out there that requires less grinding - But I wanted to make sure any starter would fit -
The 2015 Ram starter with man trans might have larger diameter than the super expensive aftermarket ones.

Auto Transport Service
Back