• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me pick a distributor!

I've got Stealth heads on 383, no head clearance problems. My large aluminum valve covers needed to be dimpled a little, but I do believe he has changed the cap to resolve that issue.
Thanks, mine has Stealths on the 400.

Thanks all, I decided to go with the progression unit. Will report back once I have some time to tinker with it. :thumbsup:

It's been a very busy spring, so just now getting into the garage to put in some work.

Install was very easy. Out with the old, in with the new. I have 440 Source heads and the distributor is very close, but there's no interference.

Getting the app running is also simple, just enter your code and it syncs with the distributor.

Out of the box without any config it is at a static 10 deg of advance, so just position distributor until you see 10 deg of timing and lock it down.

After that, use the configuration wizard and fill in some basic info. There are some limits in the app, so I couldn't just go straight to 40 deg of idle timing. Here's what I used initially:

IMG_7883.jpeg

It then generates a base table, mine looked like this:

IMG_7884.jpeg

RPM is across the bottom, vacuum in kPa is on the y axis.

With a 900 RPM idle, timing was 24 degrees. I verified with the timing light and looked close but not quite. I did reposition the distributor to back it down a degree or 2. It was bouncing around a bit when it only had 10 deg in it.

The only changes I've made so far is to set 35 degrees of idle timing:

IMG_7882.jpeg

So far it idles very nicely. Rain today, but I'll get it out for a drive tomorrow and do some more tinkering.

I'm very pleased so far. I did not opt for the launch or NOS control, but the guy said if I wanted to add it later I would just need to send it back to be unlocked for the $200 differential.

I'll update as I get some miles down :thumbsup:

Surprised they don't have a MAP sensor option so you could completely ditch the old vacuum unit for good.

It's been a very busy spring, so just now getting into the garage to put in some work.

Install was very easy. Out with the old, in with the new. I have 440 Source heads and the distributor is very close, but there's no interference.

Getting the app running is also simple, just enter your code and it syncs with the distributor.

Out of the box without any config it is at a static 10 deg of advance, so just position distributor until you see 10 deg of timing and lock it down.

After that, use the configuration wizard and fill in some basic info. There are some limits in the app, so I couldn't just go straight to 40 deg of idle timing. Here's what I used initially:

View attachment 1654115

It then generates a base table, mine looked like this:

View attachment 1654116

RPM is across the bottom, vacuum in kPa is on the y axis.

With a 900 RPM idle, timing was 24 degrees. I verified with the timing light and looked close but not quite. I did reposition the distributor to back it down a degree or 2. It was bouncing around a bit when it only had 10 deg in it.

The only changes I've made so far is to set 35 degrees of idle timing:

View attachment 1654121

So far it idles very nicely. Rain today, but I'll get it out for a drive tomorrow and do some more tinkering.

I'm very pleased so far. I did not opt for the launch or NOS control, but the guy said if I wanted to add it later I would just need to send it back to be unlocked for the $200 differential.

I'll update as I get some miles down :thumbsup:
Nice report. I'm glad to see forum members posting good, thorough information about the Progression system.
My dedication, calling my "approval" of the Progression system "dedication" seems an appropriately strong a term, happened when I discovered their product was the materialization of my dream, my concept of the ultimate ignition system for carbureted engines. I had encountered a "home crafted" mish-mash of a tablet computer, several electronic components, and a distributor that a guy had put together at an out of state Mopar meet for his own car, and it had similar functionality but was unreliable and unwieldy.
Anyway, once I finally got my Progression Ignition my 440 6bbl threw a rod and then soul-shredding grief and tragedy struck in the form of a vindictive wife who struck at a time when I didn't have the financial wherewithal to win a fight to keep my Roadrunner and keep a roof over my head, and would have lost the Roadrunner anyway.
So the Progression awaits the glorious day when it finds a home in my long awaited 572 stroker.
Until then I have to live my Progression dreams vicariously through those of you who are using theirs.

Here's my "map" for my Progression Distributor. It "ran" good until I broke a pushrod Oct '22. Hoping to have back on the road this summer.
Screenshot_20240428_101747.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back