• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi lightweight grill

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:52 AM
Reaction score
anybody know a shop that has the know how to make hemi lightweight grills for 64/65 Plymouths/dodges? I'm not in a hurry or anything but I just want to know if someone out there does this?

To the best of my limited knowledge the use two grills on 65 Dodge Coronets. You have a full width grill and cut the ends off the second grill to cover inner headlights and long enough to go under cut down headlight bezels. They use rivets to hold added grill pieces to full width grill. If you look at close up pictures I think you can see the rivets.

To the best of my limited knowledge the use two grills. You have a full width grill and cut the ends off the second grill to cover inner headlights and long enough to go under cut down headlight bezels. They use rivets to hold added grill pieces to full width grill. If you look at close up pictures I think you can see the rivets.

I didn't know they used rivets. I thought It was welded or something. Freaks me out to cut up a grill but maybe I'll give it a shot one day.

IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG
View attachment 396668

Here's mine it required 4 grills and a set of headlight bezels. Along with countless hours of fabrication and fitting... Good luck

Pulled this off internet. Picture quality is poor. I put a magnifier on it looked for rivets. My guess is to make it more stable. bet you need a couple inches of overlap on top and bottom rails. 65nutcase's grill looks great. 4 grills, costly!!
grll.PNG

The nicest one I saw was welded, metal-finished, and re-polished / brite-dipped. It looked like a 1-piece stamping.

Cut and fit to cover inside headlamp position using piece from spare grille.

IM001694.JPG 64 dodge 040.jpg 64 dodge 039.jpg

And one for my 65 dodge racecar patterned after the way Chrysler did it with rivets

65 dodge 8.70 1.jpg

One of my 65 AWB needs to be refinished! Hey Hemi 5.7 I sent you a p.m.

DSCN0678.JPG

For the 64' Dodges, 2 grilles are needed for a conversion. The 64' Plymouth's need 2 grilles as well. The 65' Dodges use 2 grilles and you can either use screws or rivets to hold the extensions on as BOTH were used at that time. Now, when I'm done cutting and fitting the pieces, the extensions will need to be "bent" to fit correctly on your car, which I don't have so that job is up to you to finish along with using the rivets or screws.

Any other questions, I'm here all week! Lol!!

By the way, I'm a cheap date compared to King of Trim or Special T's!

Auto Transport Service
Back