• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Rocker Arm ???

OldRunner

Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
Working on my 426 Hemi, when I noticed the Exhaust Arm for # 7 Cylinder is really stiff on the shaft. Could not move it side to side with out a lot of pressure, I know the last time I checked the heads, this was not there. The rest on both heads are fine as they should be. Have no idea what may of caused this, looking for any suggestions. Its as if the shaft has expanded , cant see it being the rocker arm ?

Thanks

For some reason it bound up on the shaft. You'll have to disassemble the rockers and see if you polish out the problem. They may have been too tight from the start which caused the problem or it got some debris in it. Shouldn't be too big of a deal if you caught it early. If your running a flat tappet you'll want to check that lifter while the valve gear is off.

Ok , Thanks, I will polish the shaft, just wanted to ask the question, in case its a result of an other issue, I am not aware of.

I had a used set once where both exhaust shafts were actually bent and the rockers wouldn't slide freely past that spot. The bends weren't visible if you sighted down the shaft and the set was perfectly functional otherwise.

Question
Could a tight rocker arm create a knock , by letting the push rod hit the rocker arm ?

Auto Transport Service
Back