• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High volume oil pump

adk-roadrunner

Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
I bought a new oil pump for the 440 im building it isnt a race engine or anything and I am going to be using a 971 pan as its going in my 73 roadrunner which was a 318 so i need this pan. I bought a melling high volume oil pump as i figured more oil never hurts. Now ive been reading maybe I shouldnt use it. should i return it and get a regular one I read things like it can suck the pan dry and cause bad things. I have no problem returning if it isnt gonna work for me thanks.

The higher the rpm, the more oil will be moved. How do you plan on driving it? I've always used HV pumps in my street cars with normal pans. The main problem with un-baffled pans is uncovering the pickup when you nail the gas.

big block dodge motors have massive oil return holes so it is not like many other engines that can trap too much oil above the heads.you only need it for real high performance needs,so wht not return it and get a lower price standard pump.any money saved is money well spent some place else.

I generally run a stock pump in a street car. You're not gonna pump the pan dry with a high volume, but the high volume pump has more of a parasitic drag. Also, you must run a hardened intermediate shaft which is another additional expense. When a stock pump will generate 60 plus PSI, to me that's all you need on the street. The additional volume is nice, but really not necessary other than at high RPM for extended periods. JMHO.

I like the HV pumps for what they do at low rpm.....move more oil. They don't necessarily create more psi but generally do just because of the increased volume but you can change the by pass spring to adjust that. And I've never ran a hardened shaft on the street and have never had a problem. Now if you run straight 30w in freezing temps, then yeah, you might snap the drive hex off but if you run the proper weight for your area, there shouldn't be a problem.

I've also run HV pumps without a hardened shaft, but you won't catch me recommending it to anybody. lol

....and for the record, I have a high volume/high pressure pump I got from Rick Ehrenberg that I plan to run in my 383. I stick by my guns that it ain't necessary, but I'm doin it anyway.

This high volume vs standard vs high pressure is funny. Is not the oil pressure on the gauge, say 60 psi the measure of restriction that the pump is pushing against, or rather the size of holes (bearing clearances, etc) in the engine oil passages that the pump is trying to push the oil through. The bearing clearances don't change if you switch pumps so if you use a standard, high pressure, or high volume pump, all at 60 psi, you have EXACTLY THE SAME AMOUNT OF OIL PASSING THROUGH THE ENGINE WITH ALL THREE PUMPS. The high pressure pump may potentially start at a higher pressure and will therefore push more oil through the engine than a high volume pump. The high volume pump may BYPASS more oil through the pump than the standard or high pressure pumps at the same pressure but will have a greater reserve capacity to maintain the amount of oil pressure as the clearances increase as the engine wears. The only time the oil volume THROUGH THE ENGINE changes is when you change the pressure or the clearances.

hey do you guys usually replace you oil pump driveshafts when you get a new cam I never even though about replacing it till I looked at the old one and I saw a little bit of where on the teeth.

i don't use the hv pump stuff anymore, especially the relief springs in the hv pumps. if you have the 3/8" pick-up in the block what would make you think the pump would suck more oil? i'd only use the hv pump with a 1/2' pick-up and a loose bottom end, (bleeder). the hv pumps use a pressure relief spring that is higher than the old race hemi springs. too much pressure will wear out the intermediate shaft and bushing. it's simply unnecessary for a stock clearanced driver.

I never do unless the intermediate gear shows signs of wear, OR I am running a high volume pump and in that case, I go usually with the hardened shaft.

I like the HV pumps for what they do at low rpm.....move more oil. They don't necessarily create more psi but generally do just because of the increased volume but you can change the by pass spring to adjust that. And I've never ran a hardened shaft on the street and have never had a problem. Now if you run straight 30w in freezing temps, then yeah, you might snap the drive hex off but if you run the proper weight for your area, there shouldn't be a problem.
i often find it amazing how many people ignore the importance of oil viscosity ratings vs outside temps.thanx for bringing that up cranky.

I've already ordered the new pump and will be returning the HV pump this upcoming week. Thankyou all for your help

adk---Always ran a 'normal' pump in mine. Used to shim pressure spring with a lockwasher or two to raise pressure. Used to take my 440 to 6000(?)rpm when racing and never had a problem. Used regular intermediate shaft also. Been a lot of years; might actually been to 7000rpm. Memory is going.

We use hi volume Mellings in all our builds.

High volume great for rebuilt engines, high pressure are prone to causing leaking seals in older engines

060202_seal_hmed_12p.grid-6x2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back