• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I get this pulley off my alternator?

Don't forget the rotor shaft needs to be supported when pressing on the replacement pulley. That requires alternator disassembly.
Mike
I need a tool that will remove and install a one and two groove alternator pulley for Dodge 60's and 70's units. What tool/kit is best? Thanks, Dave

I need a tool that will remove and install a one and two groove alternator pulley for Dodge 60's and 70's units. What tool/kit is best? Thanks, Dave

In post #18 is the type I like to use. It's also for power steering pullys. With an alternator you have to remove the back half of the case in order to press the pully back on. You have to have the armature shaft on something solid in a press.

Any suggestions?
1711943494988.png

In post #18 is the type I like to use. It's also for power steering pullys. With an alternator you have to remove the back half of the case in order to press the pully back on. You have to have the armature shaft on something solid in a press.
You don't actually need a hydraulic press right?

View attachment 1635939View attachment 1635940

I've been trying to remove this pulley from my alternator and it's not budging. All I've been able to do is to bend the inner pulley a bit. Any suggestions? (It DOES come off, right?)
To be a little facetious......you could use a hacksaw......you didn't say that you wanted to re-use that alternator or sheave again .....???? (Ha...ha!)
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back