• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to do away with or keep the steering column lock from moving out from under the hood?

70ChargerRT

Local time
8:12 AM
Reaction score
My car was originally an auto car on the floor. I had that column restored and the auto column lock tab that the shifter linkage went to cut off. So now that I’m getting to drive it I guess the column lock under the hood is somehow vibrating to where I can’t get my key out of the column so I have to go under the hood and turn it by hand clockwise to unlock the key. What is a good fix to keep it from moving? I may have butchered my description so please forgive me.

Turn the collar on the column from the inside, just forward of where the key goes in.

Borg 33.JPG

I cut the lever off when I converted to the 5 speed Tremec. When going down the road, vibrations will sometimes "clock" that collar and it just needs to be twisted counterclockwise to be placed back into position.

You can turn it inside the car on the column. The most forward part of the column housing moves as it's connected.

Pontiac Trans Ams and Camaro same way when they have floor shifters.

Turn the collar on the column from the inside, just forward of where the key goes in.

View attachment 1653070

I cut the lever off when I converted to the 5 speed Tremec. When going down the road, vibrations will sometimes "clock" that collar and it just needs to be twisted counterclockwise to be placed back into position.
That would make me a little bit nervous.

The "floating" collar does not affect the locking feature of the column. the key has to be turned back to lock it. The collar just affects the ability for the key to turn to and from the locking position.

Auto Transport Service
Back