• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Remove and Install Trim Clips

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
I have these clips along the inside of my windshield, along the top. They are there to install the trim to.

The problem is that one of the clips wasn't in place when I removed the trim. Looks like the factory missed the hole, being the one tab on it was bent.

Anyone have any experience with installing these? They don't have memory like a spring. When you bend the tabs, they stay and don't return. Has to be a trick to them. (1962 Dodge)
20171202_120001.jpg
20171202_120012.jpg
20171202_120020.jpg

20171119_100925.jpg

I think you put it in the hole and squeeze. That spreads the fingers out.

Helluva good question, my answer from recent experience is use some butyl rubber sealant to hold it down in that area. I know it’s not a good answer but on my ‘68 that’s what the factory did to mine(different style clip). I had butyl all over the place!

I think you put it in the hole and squeeze. That spreads the fingers out.

I think you may be on to something there. Looks like I'm going to buy myself a pair of 90* angle needle nose pliers. They are right up against the windshield.

I'm only going to get one shot at this because straightening out the bent half, it weakened it.

Thanks. It helps to have more than one set of eyes on some things.

Helluva good question, my answer from recent experience is use some butyl rubber sealant to hold it down in that area. I know it’s not a good answer but on my ‘68 that’s what the factory did to mine(different style clip). I had butyl all over the place!

It's on the inside Jeff. I might mix up a batch of two part epoxy though. I've looked for these clips in case I break this one, with no luck.

Whoops, but you DO know that Big10 championship is on right now? ( THE BUCKS vs. Wisc.) Good luck.

69L48 is on the $ use a pair of needle nose , those clips were around for years, side trim ect, ford used them also.

I think you may be on to something there. Looks like I'm going to buy myself a pair of 90* angle needle nose pliers. They are right up against the windshield.

I'm only going to get one shot at this because straightening out the bent half, it weakened it.

Thanks. It helps to have more than one set of eyes on some things.
That is how they operate....You want the tabs that go into the hole to barely get through and then squeeze on the outside and that locks them in place....

That is how they operate....You want the tabs that go into the hole to barely get through and then squeeze on the outside and that locks them in place....

The hardboard headliner clips were installed with the same type design. I just wasn't seeing it, thinking that squeezing them would close them up but they're on a pivot, so that's the ticket!
20171118_123443.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back