• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hows my rear end look? :)

Woodys72

Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I have my car all pretty now, so it's time to start with some performance upgrades. My first step is I want to replace either my rear end or just the gears. I want to know what visual cues I can use to tell if my car has a 7 1/4 or an 8 1/4? Appreciate the help.

Probably an 8 1/4. Go straight to 8 3/4. Dana with huge power.

If you have higher HP go with an 8 3/4. If your car is heavy & you a lot of power you should go with a Dana 60.

Either way, I suggest you swap out the rear end. Neither one you listed is a "performance" rear end and neither is the newer 9-1/4" based on my experience. A complete 8-3/4" rear end isn't too expensive & reasonably easy to install...don't forget the driveshaft, u-joints & trans/rear yokes matching. If it were me, I'd find a cheap single-track 8-3/4" rearend, built my motor/trans & save up for a "posi" center section which is also reasonably easy to install.

For any type of performance use, you need a limited slip differential. One wheel wonders don't cut it. Under 450 HP an 8 3/4 will work fine, I preferred the 1 3/4 straight pinion with the clutch type limited slip. Easy to rebuild & did the job. If you have more power, Dana 60 is the only way to go. Big driveshaft & U joints are also mandatory whichever axle you pick.

Auto Transport Service
Back