• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

I have a long commute
from the bedroom, to/thru the kitchen, to the office
I semiretired in 1998

the least amount of time, working for someone else
is the best time spent, IMO
I own my own time now, no clocks to punch...

Albeit I do miss some of it...
I don't miss the driving & travel at all...

I still do some consultation, usually for a couple dealerships,
usually facility management, issues, office remodels,
small construction jobs, project management etc.

nothing like the ol' days, 60-70 hrs a week

money isn't rolling in like it was either

there's good & bad to both side

I actually enjoyed working, I loved seeing the people
It's a little better being the boss, but it has it's troubles too...
STRESS !!!
But;
I basically worked to fund, me being able to race,
to pay the bills/mortgage
(I own everything outright now, thank goodness or I'd be screwed)
or use to go to work, just
to support Lisa & her horses :poke:
they weren't cheap
or to fill the kids cars/jeep/truck with gas, buy tires, clothes etc.,
they ain't cheap
or the kids sports, hobbies, education etc.,
they weren't cheap either...

I'm an empty nester now, widower & by no means wealthy...
It's just Dad & the dog Elvis living with me now, it's sort of quite...
(dad's still in the hospital, going on 2 weeks tomorrow, too quite
he had a quadruple bypass, he's doing better, my plate is extremely full,
I'd much rather go to work
)

I do miss the $$$$, even with all the BS, that came with it...

Now I;
Leisurely crawl out of bed, at 7:30-8:00am-ish
or when ever I feel like it, rarely use an alarm now...
Well I get up, after I already let the dog out at dawn/sunlight...
I lay back down, get warm under the covers & watch the news usually...
Until the dog wants back in, then I'm usually up for good...
He loves to chase off the turkeys in the mornings (all the time really)
I go to bed "usually" at about 11:00pm
I watch oldies/late-night stuff, till I get tired,
probably 12:00-12:30am, when I dose off...

rinse & repeat
You nailed it with this post. Like you, I now have time to do what I want to do...if I want to do it. I work part time on a golf course (don't know anything about golf) just to get out of the house and do something. Retirement is a weird state...it's anathema to how I lived my entire life and something that I am still adjusting to after almost a year.

I am 2 years from my 30 and as the time draws near, I doubt I'll bow out when the time comes. I'm 53 and still agile and capable. None of the daily aches and pains that other guys my age might deal with. ZERO meds, only some Tylenol for headaches or the occasional sore back. The idea of retirement sounds great in theory: Wake up when I want, work on the cars, take short trips, etc. I do all of that when I am unemployed between construction jobs. The one huge difference would be that when I am unemployed, I know that I'll be back building something again. I don't know how I'd feel with that free time with no job to look forward to.

I am 2 years from my 30 and as the time draws near, I doubt I'll bow out when the time comes. I'm 53 and still agile and capable. None of the daily aches and pains that other guys my age might deal with. ZERO meds, only some Tylenol for headaches or the occasional sore back. The idea of retirement sounds great in theory: Wake up when I want, work on the cars, take short trips, etc. I do all of that when I am unemployed between construction jobs. The one huge difference would be that when I am unemployed, I know that I'll be back building something again. I don't know how I'd feel with that free time with no job to look forward to.
I'll tell you KD, I'm 59 and spent my entire life on the go in my job and it's a huge adjustment. I'm still healthy and have all of this time on my hands for the first time in my life. I don't have a hobby...if you have one pursue it and do other things. We're not meant to sit around on our asses.

And one more thing. Since I retired, my "day" has shifted about 3 hours. When I worked, I usually went to bed around 11 and woke up at 5:00 AM to get ready for work. Now I go to bed around 2 in the morning and get up around 8. I don't know how that happened but it did. No structure, no where I have to be.

When I'm working, I'm in bed by 9:00 or 10:00 and up before 5:00, maybe as early as 4:00 if I'm working out of town.
I do not like that schedule but I'd have terrible luck getting the rest of the world to adapt to a later work schedule!
When off work, I'm up until 2:00 or so, sleeping in until 10:00.
I set the alarm but hit the snooze many times. In between, I have short dreams that are like watching mini movies. I like that.

I've now caught up on all the posts from the last couple days on this thread and enjoyed most of them very much.
Seems I'm amongst a lot of "salt of the earth" types here. Good on all of you. :thumbsup:
There is a certain nobility in doing an honest days' work. Doesn't really matter what it is you do for a living as long
as you do it to the best of your ability. There has to be some integrity to the effort; otherwise, what a waste, eh?

I don't want to get off on a rant about the younger generation here, but in my line of work (fire sprinklers) we'll go
through 10 of them to keep 1 these days - the work ethic simply isn't there.
Generalizing here, not applicable to all mind you:
They want max dollars when they walk in the door, green and inexperienced.
They don't respect those who have gone before them and have the experience they could benefit from.
They don't have that inner drive that makes us take care of customers and get the job done properly the first time.
There's a wealth of us older guys who have the wealth of experience and the willingness to teach, if only the younger
folks would want us to.
We're hurting for help as I'm sure everyone is. Can't even get them to come through the door looking for a job....

Like a lot of the trades, ours is one where a fellow can get seriously hurt if he doesn't pay attention and knows what
he's doing. I've got my share of scars from it, but I've been blessed and lucky, too.
People have died doing this stuff. I've seen some stuff, man....
It's not anything as noble as serving the country (God love all of you who have!), but it is an honest trade.
I've been in unions and out of them doing this. Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.
I carried a card when it was mandatory for the job.
I'm blessed with a cushy gig these days - take care of customers while sitting on my *** mostly, taking their
calls, doing proposals, fetching materials, dealing with officials.
Good money working for decent folks - and I've worked for some with serious character/integrity issues.

I'm up at 2:30 - 3AM every day now in my later 50's. Not by choice or because I have to. The 3rd time croaking did that to me, I guess. Bedtime is usually before 10PM simply because that's when my wife turns in.
It's just been that way the last 5 years; I can't even make myself go back to bed.
It's weird, like something inside my is hellbent on being ON all the time even though I don't have to.

I don't have any retirement saved up anymore. It's all gone, thanks to all the cancers and associated medical issues.
There is no great retirement plan here; I just want to see the country one time before I'm done, minus the NE.
Been there, done that a lot in younger years, no offense to those up there.
A lot of folks want to get a place in the country to go relax when they're done, like a place in the mountains or some such;
I have that already, thankfully. Made that decision to leave cities behind over 20 years ago and it basically saved my life.
I want to see the deserts of the SW, the plains, places like Wyoming and Montana.
A jump in the Winnebago sort of thing, God willing. It'd be nice, eh? A fella can dream.

I've now caught up on all the posts from the last couple days on this thread and enjoyed most of them very much.
Seems I'm amongst a lot of "salt of the earth" types here. Good on all of you. :thumbsup:
There is a certain nobility in doing an honest days' work. Doesn't really matter what it is you do for a living as long
as you do it to the best of your ability. There has to be some integrity to the effort; otherwise, what a waste, eh?

I don't want to get off on a rant about the younger generation here, but in my line of work (fire sprinklers) we'll go
through 10 of them to keep 1 these days - the work ethic simply isn't there.
Generalizing here, not applicable to all mind you:
They want max dollars when they walk in the door, green and inexperienced.
They don't respect those who have gone before them and have the experience they could benefit from.
They don't have that inner drive that makes us take care of customers and get the job done properly the first time.
There's a wealth of us older guys who have the wealth of experience and the willingness to teach, if only the younger
folks would want us to.
We're hurting for help as I'm sure everyone is. Can't even get them to come through the door looking for a job....

Like a lot of the trades, ours is one where a fellow can get seriously hurt if he doesn't pay attention and knows what
he's doing. I've got my share of scars from it, but I've been blessed and lucky, too.
People have died doing this stuff. I've seen some stuff, man....
It's not anything as noble as serving the country (God love all of you who have!), but it is an honest trade.
I've been in unions and out of them doing this. Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.
I carried a card when it was mandatory for the job.
I'm blessed with a cushy gig these days - take care of customers while sitting on my *** mostly, taking their
calls, doing proposals, fetching materials, dealing with officials.
Good money working for decent folks - and I've worked for some with serious character/integrity issues.

I'm up at 2:30 - 3AM every day now in my later 50's. Not by choice or because I have to. The 3rd time croaking did that to me, I guess. Bedtime is usually before 10PM simply because that's when my wife turns in.
It's just been that way the last 5 years; I can't even make myself go back to bed.
It's weird, like something inside my is hellbent on being ON all the time even though I don't have to.

I don't have any retirement saved up anymore. It's all gone, thanks to all the cancers and associated medical issues.
There is no great retirement plan here; I just want to see the country one time before I'm done, minus the NE.
Been there, done that a lot in younger years, no offense to those up there.
A lot of folks want to get a place in the country to go relax when they're done, like a place in the mountains or some such;
I have that already, thankfully. Made that decision to leave cities behind over 20 years ago and it basically saved my life.
I want to see the deserts of the SW, the plains, places like Wyoming and Montana.
A jump in the Winnebago sort of thing, God willing. It'd be nice, eh? A fella can dream.

God willing you will get your wish to get that Winnebago and travel and see the country.
The thing now is the way i see it you may have to work to 65 in order to get more SS benefits and medicare. Id hope between now and then you can travel somewhat and see what interests you and your wife.
As we both know from experience the most important thing is your health. From my observations having a life ending disease often changes a persons outlook. Hopefully for the positive but sometimes not. You sound positive.
Without going into details it became obvious my wife wants to take a cruise to Alaska. From what I'm told it sails out of Seattle. Thats a 6 hour flight for us and its not something i enjoy but guess what? Im looking into this cruise.
Have patience, save a little from now till when you retire and id say you will get your wish to take that motor trip. Best of luck to ya!!!!!

Another day in paradise, woke up at 4:30, got dressed, started the Cruze (because it's freezing cold), ate a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats, fed and played with the pooch, loaded the boiler with wood and off I go for another 10 hour shift:(. Retirement sounds great!!!

I'm very fortunate in the fact that I work for a great family that has treated me well but sometimes I wonder why I'm still here? I don't do well with monotony or early mornings, you'd think after 15 years of it I'd be adapted but I hate every single morning and spend my days bored to tears but the family has it good as a result so guess you just suck it up. Winters really take their toll, spending the whole day freezing, thawing, leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark wears me down to were I just want to sleep all the time then only having a maximum of 2 weeks vacation:BangHead:.

I'd love to have more energy for the kids and spend more time vacationing with them while they're still around!

I work 2 weeks of Mondays and then have 2 weeks of saturdays. I have been doing this shift for about 14years now. on Mondays i'm up at 3:30 and in bed by 9 unless we go out for a few after work. all of work is done outside which can be a little challenging at times when the temps get to -30c to -40c. I still love the work and no plans of an early retirement at this time. yeah i'm a sick bastard ha ha.

Only thing I dislike about my job is the shift. I start at 2:30pm and get off at 11:00pm. in the situation I was in I had no other option but to accept the position. I only get to see my son for 10 mins a day while I take him to school in the morning which bothers me the most. But when his younger brothers ask me why I’m never home and I hear him tell them that I’m at work making money to pay for all our stuff it makes me think he realizes you have to do what you have to do to take care of your family, which at 8 years old is a great thing to have that mindset.

Only thing I dislike about my job is the shift. I start at 2:30pm and get off at 11:00pm. in the situation I was in I had no other option but to accept the position. I only get to see my son for 10 mins a day while I take him to school in the morning which bothers me the most. But when his younger brothers ask me why I’m never home and I hear him tell them that I’m at work making money to pay for all our stuff it makes me think he realizes you have to do what you have to do to take care of your family, which at 8 years old is a great thing to have that mindset.
I used to have a similar shift 3:30 to midnight. could go golfing in the mornings and never had to set the alarm clock. yeah the family would not see me until the weekends. then I got the 2 and 2 shift which they would see me more. the only bad thing about the 2 and 2 is you miss a lot of the holidays.

I work 2 weeks of Mondays and then have 2 weeks of saturdays. I have been doing this shift for about 14years now.

This makes no sense! What is a week of Mondays? If I'm reading this right you only work 4 days a month? You have nothing to bitch about!

The way I read it, he works 14 consecutive days (Mondays) and then is off for 14 days (Saturdays)???
It still makes no sense. It worse then me saying, I used to go on alert every 3rd week. you have no idea what I'm talking about or what it means!

Everyday seems like Monday for 2 weeks, then he's off for 2 weeks where they seem like Saturday

Been retired for about a year now (2 Jan). I have NOT become involved in anything other than going to the gym a few days a week. I certainly FEEL much better physically. One thing I have noticed is that I don't have gut issues like I used to...Diverticulitis, kidney stones, upset stomach all the time. People talk about stress and my mental image of stress was always "running around like your hair is on fire:". i never felt stressed. My business ran smooth, money was good, employees were all good. A perfect example of you don't know what you have until it isn't there anymore to feel. I have not felt ill since the day I walked out of my old business really.
I just returned from a 2+ week road trip with the wife. 4400 miles on the '18 Ram 1500 4x4. What a great time it was....except staying in hotels...convinced the wife about buying a Class C RV and hitting the road that way. Can't wait for that. Having said all that, I have enjoyed my year of acclimation to freedom from daily commitment , otherwise known as work!

Been retired for about a year now (2 Jan). I have NOT become involved in anything other than going to the gym a few days a week. I certainly FEEL much better physically. One thing I have noticed is that I don't have gut issues like I used to...Diverticulitis, kidney stones, upset stomach all the time. People talk about stress and my mental image of stress was always "running around like your hair is on fire:". i never felt stressed. My business ran smooth, money was good, employees were all good. A perfect example of you don't know what you have until it isn't there anymore to feel. I have not felt ill since the day I walked out of my old business really.
I just returned from a 2+ week road trip with the wife. 4400 miles on the '18 Ram 1500 4x4. What a great time it was....except staying in hotels...convinced the wife about buying a Class C RV and hitting the road that way. Can't wait for that. Having said all that, I have enjoyed my year of acclimation to freedom from daily commitment , otherwise known as work!
Great to hear that it's working out so well for you. :thumbsup:

Wife and I are thinking the same way, RV to see most of the country. :drinks:

RV to see most of the country. :drinks:

DO IT

I've Rv'd every state of the lower 48 except Nebraska (is there anything there to see?):D
I have been blessed with a good job, health, and vacation time. My kids are near 40, but still talk the camping trips we had when they were young. Take that trip before it's too late, stand on the rim of the Grand Canyon and tell me you're not humbled. There are so many magnificent places to see in the USA, it's staggering. I can talk for hours on camping and where I've been, so pm me if you'd like.
Some of the most highly recommended:
Bar Harbor, Gloucester
Stone Mountain
Yellowstone
Glacier National park
Canyons in Utah
Mt. St. Helens
Redwoods, Sequoias,Yosemite
Grand Canyon
Smoky Mountains
Mammoth Cave
There are thousands more I need to see

But I can say don't stop at the Corn Palace:rolleyes:, and maybe South of the Border.

Auto Transport Service
Back