• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I suppose to use a accumulator spring?

CRAIGXLH1

Local time
12:49 PM
Reaction score
I took apart my 727 BB transmission 3 or 4 years ago I have 3 or 4 transmission in parts laying around i'm I suppose to use a accumulator spring I forgot if I had one. I have a cope CTR -22X Reverse manual also have 727 low reverse billet servo kit also have a 5.0 kickdown lever also can I remove governor off the main shaft seem like I can't remember **** and what plans I had. thank you very much

Been a looong time, but I think no spring,remove gov guts. 3.8 or 4.2 lever; 5.0 shud be for Hemi frt drum. Maybe dvw will chime in ( or others).

I never ran an accumulator spring in my manual shift 727's. I'd call John Cope & ask about the governor. My current Cope trans is whatever he built, not sure about the governor. With my Cheetah trans setups that I built myself for 20 years of drag racing, never took the governor out since they're not in the system. I ran the 5.0 lever for several years (per Turbo Action), the 4.2 or 3.8 seemed to work at least as well. Really depends on the style of band, clutches, clutch spring combination, front servo spring combo & valve body. 3.8 seems to work just fine, 4.2 would be very good too, 5.0 takes longer to apply.

A couple variations to the accumulator setup but I believe no spring is required and many folks install a rod so it doesn't move at all.

A couple variations to the accumulator setup but I believe no spring is required and many folks install a rod so it doesn't move at all.

Many do this for a harder/firmer 1-2 shift and it will also hit a little harder going into first. I did it on my 727 and my sons because I like the very firm shift. My sons has been in his car since 1997 and my 63 has been done like that since 2006. If you want it to shift like stock 727 then yes I would install the spring. Myself I like my trans in my hotrod to shift very firm so I leave it out and put a blocker rod in it so the accumulator piston don't move. Course I only do this when I run a manul valve body. Ron

5.0 lever slower to apply but also slower to release
four friction clutch seems to hold well
5 was for durability- longevity not holding

I've already forgotten too much since I rebuilt my 727 last year but although it lacked an accumulator spring when I tore it down, I installed one after some research. It seems I learned after research that leaving the accumulator spring out did nothing to improve shifts and resulted in hard shifts from neutral or park into gear. Something to do with the piston was already held in the direction of the spring pressure by line pressure at the time of the shift. DVW (Doug) told me at the time -
"The spring has no effect on rolling shift quality. What it does do is cushion the apply of the rear clutch when you select a forward gear from park/neutral. There have been instances where the belleville spring will break. The spring is said to address this issue. The accumulator itself cushions the 1/2. Shift. So installing a blocker under the piston so the piston is always in the upper position will firm the 1/2 shift.
Doug"

So, it sounds like removing the spring will not have any effect on the shift without installing a rod to block the piston in the upper position so it can't move.

This is all based on a fully automatic valve body with a TF-1 shift kit - with a manual shift valve body I don't know.

If you have the Transgo TF-shift kit give Dave a call at the number on the instructions (or look it up in El Monte Ca)
hint
some combinations work better than other
and there is a check ball you can leave in or leave out that influences how hard is shifts into reverse for sure and I think low.
Remember- broken parts loose- ask Carr

If you leave the check ball out it will hit a good bit harder going into reverse. We saw this at the dealer. Many customers complained of banging in reverse so Mopar modified the valve body and used the check ball so it would go in reverse smoother. Problem was in 1996 I believe the east coast had a blizzard and the plow truck drivers were going from drive to reverse a lot very fast and nailing the gas as soon as they put the shifter in reverse before reverse was fully engaged. Well I remember we had 12 trucks lined up at our dealer for me and the one other trans guy at our shop to repair with no reverse that they had burnt reverse out when plowing lots. So Mopar told us to remove the check ball from the valve body of all the trucks and let them complain of slamming in reverse so they would not burn the L/R band or front clutches out. I remember that winter very well as I was very busy that winter. Ron

Wow you go back, way back too
That's what I heard
Mines out in my dakota- putting in next time i have the valve body out
Back to second is not happening till it slows way down- which sucks with the trailer
I've never seen this before
got to watch it because "back to low" still works at any speed
that was real handy with an Eldorado on the 4 wheel trailer coming down the Cojhn pass from Vegas
5 miles of 30 mph in Low gear
brakes would not have done it
THANK YOU GIL YOUNGER

Auto Transport Service
Back