• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle Speed Issue

Hubert

Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
HELP. I have a 1974 Roadrunner with a 318 engine. Originally an automatic NON air-condition car. Currently it is a 4 speed and has after market air. My problem is when i turn the AC on it draws the rpm down and sometimes even enough to stall. Have checked for Vacuum leaks, replaced the vacuum lines with new ones with no help. Any suggestions. A new distributor with a new vacuum advance, A TIC valve that appears to have been on cars with AC from factory which mine does not have, or is it a matter of carburetor tweaking. Thanks.

I use a solenoid valve on my factory AC GTX although it did not come with one originally. Works well - I have it wired to the compressor clutch lead. I had to do some creative twisting of the bracket to get it to sit square on the carb flange and align with the throttle arm.

IMG_1210.jpeg
IMG_1209.jpeg

Is it called something else? Say an idle control valve or mayby a carburetor solenoid valve. Looking into getting one but want to get the correct part. Any more info would be a great help. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back