• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you're over 40, this probably isn't for you

verdelaw

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
This post is about buying and owning an old car, for people who are new to it. Most people on here are not new to it.. and won't be interested. This is for the lurkers out there who are looking for maybe their first MoPar and/or old car. It might've helped me to read this two or three years ago. BLUF: Save up and buy a nicer car.

So I just sold my 68 Charger. It still hurts a little inside, but it's slowly ebbing...
IMG_2513.JPG

...and I'm on the hunt for the next one. I wouldn't say I made a mistake with the last one, but the better choice would have been to save up and buy one nicer and/or more DONE.

It's not that I didn't have the know-how.. I mean, I didn't (and still don't have much).. but that's what this forum is for, what youtube is for, and what making friends over an electrical gremlin is all about. It's not that I didn't have the tools.. I didn't, but those things can be begged, bought, or borrowed. It's not that I didn't have the passion.. that loping V8 always brought a smile to my face and I'd been lusting for a MoPar for years prior to the purchase. It's not that I didn't have the space.. I have a three car garage.. with three cars. It was completely full. I had to move the lawn mower and the recycling bin just to get in my Charger. But I could move one car out to work on the 68, so that wasn't it. And so what that the garage isn't insulated and gets sub-zero in the winter and wicked hot in the summer?

For me, it came down to time. I work full time, and my job includes trips. Sometimes for weeks at a time. Sometimes for months (but rarely). And my wife just had a kid. And quit her job. Over the time I owned my last Charger I found that I never could put in the time. Anyone around here will tell you that the small task you think will take 45 minutes on your car will actually end up taking 3 hours or 3 days. You'll go in there ready to tackle anything, only to find that a certain washer or relay or nut is holding up the whole works (and the parts store just closed). I'd come home from work ready to work on a system to find that my wife needs me to help with three things that take up my whole evening. Forget the weekend.. that was spent with my kid and my wife.. and our friends.. or taking a road trip.. or making up for what I missed on my last work trip.. or something else. Bottom line, aside from all the other inconveniences.. I didn't have the time.

So I looked to outsource it. Wow there are still some good speed shops around that do great work! I found 11 in the local area, narrowed it to 8.. and visited all of them. From 8 I narrowed it to 3 and really spent time and talked to all three. The first basic work I wanted done was: trans swap, rear end swap, and some electrical work. The three bids came to: $7800, $8900, and $14800. Wow.. what a spread. So I went with the lowest (which coincidentally was my favorite shop anyway). When we really sat down and added in all that needed to be done, plus a couple "while we're at-its", the total came to $16800! And we were just getting started! Amazing. And far beyond anything I was ready to pay. That option was not realistic.

So I started looking around at prices for a done car. And you already know what I found.. it's cheaper to buy a done car at the end of the day. And not just a little cheaper.. we're talking tens of thousands of dollars cheaper. A LOT of money. When I added everything I wanted to do on my car along with everything I needed to do on my car, I was pushing 70 or 80 grand to have someone else do it. And months to years for them to do it. So why wait a helluva long time and/or pay a helluva lot of money? Do yourself a favor.. save up a bit longer and buy a nicer car. It'll be better in the long run.

Just my opinion of course :soapbox:

and if possible,take a friend who knows mopars so you dont get taken advantage of.
you dont want to get your new prize home and then find out someones slipped you the mickey.

(Great topic Verdelaw )

If i had a 68 Charger i would hold on to that thing like it was my Dick. Cars dont get nicer then that.

I feel i paid a bit to much for my duster but when i use it as my Daily driver it will pay off then. Its a Slamt6. If it lasted 45 years with out any problems it will last another 45. Buying a finished car will never be in my Budget.

This thread is definitely for the Youngins....I had to look up BLUF :rolleyes:

Good topic and helpful advice...well done. :thumbsup:
Yeah, "Bottom Line Up Front",
I think this was somewhat of a little dig, reprisal for that millennial thread,
me thinks he was a bit perturbed...

Verdelaw, I'm not a know it all but;
Here's a bit of advice from someone that's "been there & done that"
some 60+ time over by 57 years old...

I've always said;
To get a car as complete as possible,
avoid cars with too many electrical issues or too much rust repair,
unless your well versed in body work welding & fabrication etc.
especially make sure all the little pieces are there,
or it'll ultimately will nickel & dime you to death, eats up all your time searching,
for all the interior, trim, engine, trans, rear brakes,
buy "running/driving" preferably too,
look a bit more if necessary, spend the $$$ on a plane ticket if need be,
buy from out in the west or southwest to get a better chance of
"more rust free examples" too, maybe even spend a bit more upfront
{or buy a project someone bailed on before it was complete, sometimes it's a
great bargain, when they give up & ultimately sell, a nearly completed car
}
& save a ton of time, money & especially grief,
not to speak of expensive shipping & hard to find or rare parts costs,
in the long run etc.

Beware;
Some people out there think their ol' rusty worn out "rare" Mopar parts
"are seemingly worth their weight in gold too"

I'd highly suggest;
Buy some books & "fill your library, before you fill your garage"
buy more tools, less beer & learn as much as possible, go to classes if need be,
do as much yourself as possible..
We were all young once too,
we all had to learn & raise a family, go to school, pay bills, mortgages etc.
We all had to allocate our time appropriately too, between our hobby &
relationships etc., it's not anything new, your not reinventing the wheel,
it's been done millions of times before...

That's what this place is for just ask, usually someone will help,
you might get a few snide remarks, all in fun mostly,
but that's a small price to pay for all the knowledge you will learn here,
"FREE" from some of US ol' farts Boomers....

Good luck & Happy Mopar Hunting

Last edited:
Buy some books & "fill your library, before you fill your garage"
buy more tools, less beer & learn as much as possible, go to classes if need be,
do as much yourself as possible..

Some of the best advice you'll find anywhere on this site!! :thumbsup:

So I started looking around at prices for a done car. And you already know what I found.. it's cheaper to buy a done car at the end of the day. And not just a little cheaper.. we're talking tens of thousands of dollars cheaper.
Here's a finished 68 Charger R/T for a good price. I can send you the sellers info if interested.

I feel your pain, I sold my 68 four years ago.

Charger.jpg

Last edited:
another save up and buy the most complete you can :thumbsup:

complete and done is the best , especially for an overseas buyer

and get the car inspected ,there are inspection services out there
Twocents.gif

Oh yes, the school of hard nocks. I have been there. Good luck with your next purchase.

I am currently on my last restoration and that car is as complete as could be found. Going back OE is extremely pricey and time consuming. So the paint and body is being done now at a local shop. I too just do not have the time anymore to do that. Furthermore, restoration prices of small parts is crazy expensive these days. Little NOS parts available and the ones that are available are high in price.

However, that is the restoration I chose to do and I have to pay the price of that.......

Overall, If you have a complete car as I have and on top of that at one time the only thing I did not do was machine shop work and transmission rebuild. When you start tallying things up and the time/money lost restoring parts and assembly. Your total cost is still an extremely high number.

If I did not have any Mopars. I would also save every penny and buy the one restored on someone else's dime!

I painfully have a shared experience. If I were to do it all over again I would go to an auction. I trusted someone online who claimed there were no issues with the car I bought. Now many dollars later we are on the verge of getting it fixed the way it should have been.

As the economy declines, this becomes even more true. Lots of bargains out there and you can always buy them done for way less than building them. The only exceptions seem to be the really rare/desirable ones or guys that can do it all themselves.

I believe that is very good advice verdelaw. Taking the time needed to look for the car that you want in good condition will save a fortune. I see cars for sale all the time that are 80 or 90% done and the seller says he has 50 g's in a car that he is selling for 25 or 30 g's. In the cases where that is true, it could be quite a bargain.
So when you decide which car you want, look, look, and look some more until you find a good bargain. You will be much better off, IMHO.

Here's a finished 68 Charger R/T for a good price. I can send you the sellers info if interested.[/ATTACH]

Thanks there Car Nut, but 83 large is a bit too rich for my blood. And besides, there are some very specific things I'm looking for in my next purchase.

That's a VERY good price for the seller to ask, but not for a buyer. There is no way in hell that it's worth that much.

Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

as a buyer Esp a first time Mopar,
you have to ask yourself the Why Questions.

Why are they selling it?
why is the price where its at?
why hasnt someone else bought it Already?

make sure you know the answers to those 3 before you let your infatuation with the car lead you into buying it.

always ask whats been done to the car.
let them ramble on as you walk around the car,
and check everything they tell you.
if its a high priced car,ask for Receipts.

bring one of those womens hand mirrors from the dollar store.
you can look in all sorts of spots just by angling the mirror.
always look inside the trunk for water stains/holes letting water in
and look up Under at the bottom of the rear window area too.

as a buyer Esp a first time Mopar,
you have to ask yourself the Why Questions...

These are all good suggestions to first time old car buyers. The first point of this thread that I was trying more to get at was kind of a self evaluation along with the overall good advice of paying more money now for a more done car.

Will you have the time, space, money, passion, etc to work on this car like you think you will. This is something where I think I let my passion overrule reality.. at least when it came to my time available (or lack thereof).

These are all good suggestions to first time old car buyers. The first point of this thread that I was trying more to get at was kind of a self evaluation along with the overall good advice of paying more money now for a more done car.

Will you have the time, space, money, passion, etc to work on this car like you think you will. This is something where I think I let my passion overrule reality.. at least when it came to my time available (or lack thereof).
lol!
im pretty sure most of us reg mopar buyers are the same way :)
and thats an Excellent point.

myself,ive had about 20 cars in the last 5 years alone and not one of them ever made it to completely finished stage.
i just dont have the Time,between life,missions,other peoples projects,etc etc.

they all went to other enthusiasts and a few went into storage units never to be seen again.

so yes again buying a Finished car or even a 80% like mine,is a better way to start then a roller that needs everything,like what i started with most of the time. ( lol ! )

thanks again Verdelaw sorry bout straying slightly on the topic.

I can echo what everyone has said - and it's not just young guys. 3 or 4 years ago, I decided to finally get my "dream" Mopar. Had a '68 Runner brand new, then a '68 GTX - loved 'em both. This time around, at the tender age of 66, i decided to go shopping. Quickly decided that decent Runners were out of reach so went for plan B - 66/67 B Body Coronet or Satellite because I always loved the look, especially the C pillar. Lo and behold, I spotted a good looking '67 Coronet R/T on KIJIJI (like Craigs list but in Canada) and the price was good. Went to look at it and found lower quarter rust, a poorly fitted patch panel over the right wheel well, helper springs on the back, pieced together exhaust, lots of pitted chrome, loosely attached rear bumper....you get the picture. But, IT WAS A REAL R/T! and the price was good! Stars in my eyes, I handed over a $500. deposit, shook hands and headed home. By the time I got home, I realized that this was a major project that I wouldn't finish for years, had no proper facilities to do the work - never mind the $$$ to do it. I didn't even realize, at the time, that I couldn't buy replacement 1/4 panels! (do your home work!) Next day, I backed out of the deal and was very lucky the seller gave me back 1/2 my deposit. Fast forward a year and I finally spot my Baby. A '66 Coronet 500. North Carolina car, ALL original and it was only an hour away. Called the seller on Friday, went to see it on Saturday and bought it on the spot. That was 3 years ago & I've had nothing but fun with the car ever since. Any money I've spent has been pretty much my own choice - replaced some interior trim, got the clock working, pertronix ignition, 15" Magnum 500's, etc. The seller had put all new big block suspension under it and all new brakes. The car came with dual flowmasters as well. Turn key. Yes, I payed big for this car and I haven't regretted it once. Now I'm 70 and still loving it every time I turn the key!

Hope this helps the "under 40" crowd.

P7036271.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back