• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incorrect fuel gauge reading.

Rick69

Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
I am one of the many struggling with inaccurate fuel gauge readings. The vehicle is a 69 Coronet RT. I have thoroughly tested the wiring and gauge. Key on, remove the wire at the sender the gauge reads empty. Ground the signal wire and the gauge reads full. With a full tank of gas, the resistance through the sender is 25 ohms. From what I've read the resistance should be ~ 10 ohms. With the sender out of the tank, I connected the unit to the signal wire and ground. Moving the float by hand I can get the gauge to read the full range. I have heard people talk about bending the float arm. Does anyone have pictures of where to bend the arm and what a correct bend should look like? Thanks

You will need to bend the arm and should be able to get "full" & "empty" fairly close. The middle of your gauge sweep will still not be accurate however. OEM senders were non linear and all the new reproductions are linear. While you are bending things around, you will probably also have to bend the pickup tube down as well. Make sure the screen is just touching the bottom of the tank. Do this before making adjustments to the float arm.

Auto Transport Service
Back