• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing windshield trip clips

kezammit

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
Just picked up my first Mopar, a 68 Coronet, and the front lower windshield trim is off (found it in the trunk). I cleaned up the channel but all but two of the clips are gone, and it looks like there are small holes in the channel where they used to be. Are these clips installed with screws, and can you put new ones in without removing the windshield?

I have seen the clips on eBay, and some come with screws, some don't. I've only done this repair on my Dad's GMs in the past and they usually clip to little studs that are spot welded into the channel.

Thanks for your help!
kent

Yes the clips are installed with screws. I don't know if they could be installed with the glass still in. I had to drill out sevreal of the screws due to the heads being too rusty to get a bite on. I suppose you can try it.

Thanks, yeah the more I look at it, the more it looks like that windshield has got to come out. But it looks like that may be difficult without removing the dash. One thing leads to another. May just be better to take it to a local glass shop for a professional opinion....

The windshield comes riight out, and if you go to a pro, they should be able to save your glass.
PPG makes a good replacement windsheild. I bought one and tried to do it myself. I of course broke it. Seems like the glass is about 110.00 anb the new gasket was like 90.00
I called a pro and he came to my house and did the work in no time. I think it was 50 for the install, which took my guy about 20 min but I had already removed the old glass and the body was already cleaned and ready to go.

....... But it looks like that may be difficult without removing the dash. ...

Catch 22. You can't take the dash out without removing the winshield (as the mounting screws are under the weatherstiping). :mad:

I've replaced the clips without removing the windshield but the car was only ten years old at the time. You can't get a windshield out of one that old without cutting it out, the old gasket is just to hard. If you don't want the windshield to leak have a glass shop do it. They'll install your new clips at the same time. Plus if any of the screw holes are bad they fill them and drill new ones.

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks, guys, the more I look at mine the more confusing it gets. It looks like there are several large holes next to some of the windshield clips that look like drain holes, but not positive. THey could be there from factory to drain rainwater from under the trim, they don't look rusty or irregular, but I have don't recall having those on other cars I have worked on. That windshield may need to just come out and I should probably replace since it has a quarter sized star in it. With it out, I can check the channel, rust proof it, and have the paint done before I reinstall the windshield and trim. Will repost when I get some answers.

I head out to Sunchaser school this weekend to learn how to bump and shrink metal. Looking forward to it!

Auto Transport Service
Back