• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument Cluster question

darc1722

Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
I have just purchased a rebuilt instrument cluster from WillysRestorations, the question I have the mechanism (voltage regulator?) on the rear doesn't have a plug connector on the top like the one in the photo has, and the new wiring harness has a plug on it which looks to be for the spade connector, see photo. Please advise, thanks.

IMG_3165 (2).jpg

OE's, at least mine, didn't have that extra ground lug on the housing. The electronic replacment I bought does. No wire in the OE harness AFAIK to hook onto that extra ground lug, the circuit board gets it's ground from the housing frame anyhow, the extra wire you have is just duplication.
beerestoration2018 864.JPG
beerestoration2018 1120.JPG

Never seen that style voltage regulator before (photo 1). The one in the second photo is the correct one. It plugs into circuit board only. No wires attach to it.

It's only an added ground lug...not needed. The one I bought is the same.

Wouldn't hurt a thing by running a ground wire from that terminal to the firewall, but like previously stated it's not needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back