• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the hobby dead or just broke?

I hope I don't offend anyone. Cars to me since I could recognize them were fun to me. By 9 years old I was helping at the station. I have a degree in History, and these cars to me are just another book with a story. I don't collect them because they are fast, or good looking. I look at the year, and remember what was Important that week, that year. When I open the door of the shed, I see a collection of Mopars that started out with different families, lives, and futures. And now they are all together in one shed. They may have started out in different places, but the wound up here at this time and place. I think it is Important for people to remember where they came from, and how their grandparents and parents helped them be here today. Cars helped people live, and I see them as a window to the past.
That is why I like cars that resemble their original looks, characteristics, and performance as close as they were to then. Nothing more, nothing less. Everyone else can race, or whatever. there is room for everyone.
Sorry, I just fell off the soapbox. My dad said it totally different in 1962: a car is a hunk of metal that sure beats a Horse and Buggy. No more, no less.

Last edited:
Agreed. I too love the history. The people who designed, engineered, and produced these cars often seem forgotten. Anything that looks as good as these Mopars do 50 years give or take later, were the result of vision.

I hope I don't offend anyone. Cars to me since I could recognize them were fun to me. By 9 years old I was helping at the station. I have a degree in History, and these cars to me are just another book with a story. I don't collect them because they are fast, or good looking. I look at the year, and remember what was Important that week, that year. When I open the door of the shed, I see a collection of Mopars that started out with different families, lives, and futures. And now they are all together in one shed. They may have started out in different places, but the wound up here at this time and place. I think it is Important for people to remember where they came from, and how their grandparents and parents helped them be here today. Cars helped people live, and I see them as a window to the past.
That is why I like cars that resemble their original looks, characteristics, and performance as close as they were to then. Nothing more, nothing less. Everyone else can race, or whatever. there is room for everyone.
Sorry, I just fell off the soapbox. My dad said it totally different in 1962: a car is a hunk of metal that sure beats a Horse and Buggy. No more, no less.

Exactly. There's a story to every car out there. Sometimes I try not to think too far into it every time I see one that's sitting in rot because it's a sad ending.

Someone bought it new, drove it, people rode in it. The car and the people inside traveled many miles together only for it to come to an end.

They say "if walls could talk". I say...

If wheels could whisper.

Seems to me that with most everyone's bagging on 73-up, the hobby is dying from within its ranks. Sure low power but that can be fixed, and the bumpers are just snarled with rubber that easily unbolts(in my situation anyway). Why not pick one up cheap and make it something different or something that never was but could've been? Seems to be working for me so far.

Everyone loves and wants a legitimate 60s-70s muscle car but lack the money, knowledge, skill, and ability to rebuild one. Every day I talk to guys looking for parts that either don't exist or require modification to install, and they simply aren't interested in it, whereas with this late model crap, it's plug and play. They want something simple rather than unique and if they want unique then they don't want to invest time or money to do it.

Headers are a great example. In all my years of car life I've never installed a set of headers that install without any headaches or a set that bolts to an existing exhaust system. When that gets explained to the "car guy" on the other end, they back off the purchase or "need to call their mechanic" to try and circumnavigate the process, whereas Honda dorks and next generation challenger guys just have to click a submit button to order, and pay the bill to have them installed. All they want is the look or the sound, without the effort required in between.

The hobby isn't dead, the people that could do it are dying off and those in their shadow don't understand things as simple as thread pitch or volumetric efficiency, they just want what they see on Facebook and YouTube and Street Outlaws sitting in the driveway.

It's not the economy, or the prices, or a lack of projects. It lack of ability of the masses in this hobby now, which is populated by uninformed checkbook hotrodders that only have the 18 piece ratchet set from Walmart and a pocket screwdriver, and all they want is to know specs on things when they are asked at the car show so they don't sound clueless, while their "mechanic" cashes the check.

In summation, the hobby isn't dead, it's the people that made the hobby that are or soon will be, and no one followed in the footsteps to keep it going properly.

Long Live Actual Abilities!

People have their preferences my brother and I are miles apart on "likes" though share a lot of common likes as well for older cars. He had owned four GTO's back when, as his favorite burning up our town's streets. When it comes to buying, he likes "new" and has said to me often dump my '63 Fury and buy a new Challenger (last Challenger I bought new was a'73/340) I traded in my '70 Cuda/383 drop top for it $600 on the trade. A move I always regretted. He says all the new technology, HP, handling, braking, etc. makes the old cars so weak by comparison. I can't disagree but it's just my preference for old cars and I've done a lot to make some upgrades with safety on the '63 while upping its performance. In resto now and it will cost over $25k before it's done add the $15k I've already put into it; but damn near like a new car. So ya got an old guy like my older brother who has no interest in buying an old car (he just ordered a new 420 HP Chevy) while another old guy, me, has little attraction to the new!

Really . . . if the hobby is dead or broke , I wonder where all the money that I'm dumping into my project is going . . .

I'm new to this "in depth " rebuilding , and I'm enjoying taking a stab at learning all the required technical skills , one by one , and work toward getting my project completed

Hopefully , someday . . .

I'm with you aceofspades, I got over $8K invested in a good running drive anywhere 79 300. I'd sell it for $3K for someone else to enjoy.Not one taker.I offered it to a friend for his 16 year old as his first car.They paid $4k for a 69 Dart that has a smashed quarter,no brakes,primer bondo machine that spews oil from everwhere.They bought it last summer.It sits in a puddle of oil in their driveway.The kid just drives his mom's Tahoe.

IMG_2151.jpg

I'm with you aceofspades, I got over $8K invested in a good running drive anywhere 79 300. I'd sell it for $3K for someone else to enjoy.Not one taker.I offered it to a friend for his 16 year old as his first car.They paid $4k for a 69 Dart that has a smashed quarter,no brakes,primer bondo machine that spews oil from everwhere.They bought it last summer.It sits in a puddle of oil in their driveway.The kid just drives his mom's Tahoe.

View attachment 396225
Holy crap, go figure lol. I bought mine from a guy in Salem Indiana. He bought from the previous owner estate sale who was his neighbor and took care of it.

Bought it for his kid, kid didn't want it, so he put it on CL and I bought it an hour later.

I love my car but I need a truck and don't want the expenses of three vehicles. One vehicle and my bike is enough for me.

For me I am in the process of building a 63 Belvedere. I also have a 68 Valiant. The 300 is my daily driver.My brother died last month and willed me his 65 Belvedere Hemi Car...Something has to go.

For me I am in the process of building a 63 Belvedere. I also have a 68 Valiant. The 300 is my daily driver.My brother died last month and willed me his 65 Belvedere Hemi Car...Something has to go.

Condolences.

I don't think it's a bad thing necessarily that the newer stuff is "Bolt-On". I think it actually gives incentive to the average person to open new doors into the world of cars in the first place. I think it gives people an "entry level" method at first hand experience of being able to do something along with the satisfaction of it working.
It also allows people to do things without needing a lot of extra tools or fab knowledge. I wouldn't have gone as far into my car as I did without my dad around or him having body work experience.
Being able to ask questions due to the fact I knew what I wanted but no idea how to get where I wanted to be :)

People have their preferences my brother and I are miles apart on "likes" though share a lot of common likes as well for older cars. He had owned four GTO's back when, as his favorite burning up our town's streets. When it comes to buying, he likes "new" and has said to me often dump my '63 Fury and buy a new Challenger (last Challenger I bought new was a'73/340) I traded in my '70 Cuda/383 drop top for it $600 on the trade. A move I always regretted. He says all the new technology, HP, handling, braking, etc. makes the old cars so weak by comparison. I can't disagree but it's just my preference for old cars and I've done a lot to make some upgrades with safety on the '63 while upping its performance. In resto now and it will cost over $25k before it's done add the $15k I've already put into it; but damn near like a new car. So ya got an old guy like my older brother who has no interest in buying an old car (he just ordered a new 420 HP Chevy) while another old guy, me, has little attraction to the new!
When I tell my opinion, I usually PO someone. I have no use for newer high performance cars that any one with the bucks can order off the shelf or from the showroom. Not impressed at all, as I am not a hi tech , no experience or knowledge needed , kind of guy. At a car show with these new "look at what I cost cars", I won't even look at them . Want to see a cookie cutter Corvette? go to a dealer show room and let the salesman tell you how smart you are to buy the latest new gimmik.
Same way with foreighn cars . Instead of one in a million car that you created, you have one like a million. I have seen some mid- later 70's car that were modified to really be attrctive, but the first time I saw a down sized Road Runner with flat sided wheel arches that looked bolted or rivited on, and louvered rear window shades and rear quarter windows the same way. I about puked ! If you can make those later 70's cars look good and perform well---you really are a car guy. BTW, a 4 door can look good, but you have to know how to do it................................MO

When I tell my opinion, I usually PO someone. I have no use for newer high performance cars that any one with the bucks can order off the shelf or from the showroom. Not impressed at all, as I am not a hi tech , no experience or knowledge needed , kind of guy. At a car show with these new "look at what I cost cars", I won't even look at them . Want to see a cookie cutter Corvette? go to a dealer show room and let the salesman tell you how smart you are to buy the latest new gimmik.
Same way with foreighn cars . Instead of one in a million car that you created, you have one like a million. I have seen some mid- later 70's car that were modified to really be attrctive, but the first time I saw a down sized Road Runner with flat sided wheel arches that looked bolted or rivited on, and louvered rear window shades and rear quarter windows the same way. I about puked ! If you can make those later 70's cars look good and perform well---you really are a car guy. BTW, a 4 door can look good, but you have to know how to do it................................MO
Aso' Mo.....We on same page, same paragraph!

I too look at each year of a classic and reminisce over how each was groundbreaking in its own way and the history of each. Then I open the garage and look at my Roadrunner, and smile. Motor Trends Car of the year for 1969. Then I think good Lord, we landed a man on the moon, and this was the best car we could come up with?
Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's brash, brutal, and in your face. In other words, the epitome of Mopar.:rolleyes:

I'm 29 and I seriously think this hobbie will be dead within 20 years max. People my age and younger just don't care. I would say less than 1/100 guys my age care enough to start a project or even buy one done. Demand will drop and cars will become cheap/absolete. I hope to hell im wrong but once my dad's generation (currently 55-60 year olds) start to die off where will all the information and know-how go? It certainly isn't all being passed down.
We are trying, that is kind of what this web is all about. young people are putting modern drive trains in old cars now like they did with model As in the 50s. I don't think it will end, but definitely change

I too look at each year of a classic and reminisce over how each was groundbreaking in its own way and the history of each. Then I open the garage and look at my Roadrunner, and smile. Motor Trends Car of the year for 1969. Then I think good Lord, we landed a man on the moon, and this was the best car we could come up with?
Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's brash, brutal, and in your face. In other words, the epitome of Mopar.:rolleyes:
66 - 70 B platforms can take varied personality.....depends on how the table is set. Small block, stance, footprint.....they finesse the canyon pretty nicely......sweet secrets.....I ate my share of 911's & the like with the 3 stock 318 B's I've had. Tight stuff,,below 100 mph.

I agree for the most part with post 23.

You can't call a hobby dead if there are more than 20 currently running TV shows about it.
And I haven't ever watched a single episode from any of those 20 shows. Just not my thing. I watch Mecum and Barrett-Jackson auctions until I have nightmares about vettes.
Those TV shows are worse than watching paint dry.

I think many of the younger generation are still into cars just not like it was in my day. My very first car was a 1957 VW that i bought for 50 dollars of my own hard earned money. The only favor my father did was drive it home for me and that was asking a lot. I was 15 at the time and sold it at a profit a couple of years later. My next car i bought for 600 dollars just before i graduated from HS. I worked pumping gas and saved up to buy it. A 1964 tri power 4 speed GTO convertible after that full time employment and cars were everything. Its harder today for younger ones to save up for cars and they are more complex than anything we ever had to deal with. In addition a older import is risky as far as structural damage caused by rot. Ive seen more strut towers coming through hoods, rear axels having there whole mounting just falling out and rusted frames on cars not all that old unlike anything i ever saw back in the day.
I just dont see younger guys pulling motors/trans like i did once. Even when i was a younger married guy i was working on clunkers, my engine hoist was a chain fall and a tree branch supported by a 4x4. On the street pulling a motor. Today id be summonsed and arrested by the DEP for spilling a little oil. The animal rights folks would picket my house for a couple of drops of spilled anti freeze.
I will tell you that my adult children generation liked my 69 SS convert. When it was at my daughters her girlfriends husbands really liked it and had all kinds of questions. Usually is it a roadrunner and does it have a six pack or Hemi LOL . The hobby will always be around even after were gone, it will change as things often do but 30 years from now some kid will be messing with this 600HP Dodge he just found in someones garage and towed home. Until then my SS is closer to becoming a reality and i cant wait to drive it just like i couldn't wait till i got that GTO registered and on the road way back in 1970. Its the same feeling i have now at almost 65 that i had at 18.....

66 - 70 B platforms can take varied personality.....depends on how the table is set. Small block, stance, footprint.....they finesse the canyon pretty nicely......sweet secrets.....I ate my share of 911's & the like with the 3 stock 318 B's I've had. Tight stuff,,below 100 mph.
It sounds complicated, but the covering of the lander was foil. The power to fly there was less than the average phone. The whole deal was a tribute to the piloting skills of the crew. Now the Roadrunner took massive technological skills, making it cool looking, and abrasive. It sure beat a stinkin CHEVY!HAHAHAHA Now known as China Motors!

Auto Transport Service
Back