• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jumping a relay

greenmachine

Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
Hi.
So I thought I was going to fire my car off yesterday. Nope. Turned key, nothing, no click. I used a test light. The big lug on the starter is hot, the little lug is dead. It's also dead at the relay. Car is a 69 net with a new harness, new NSS. What posts do I cross on the starter relay to jump it? There is four connections on the relay. The big post from the battery, the brownish colored wire that heads back to the small lug on the starter, a black wire and a yellow. Thanks.

Hi.
So I thought I was going to fire my car off yesterday. Nope. Turned key, nothing, no click. I used a test light. The big lug on the starter is hot, the little lug is dead. It's also dead at the relay. Car is a 69 net with a new harness, new NSS. What posts do I cross on the starter relay to jump it? There is four connections on the relay. The big post from the battery, the brownish colored wire that heads back to the small lug on the starter, a black wire and a yellow. Thanks.

Battery + to Brown wire to starter should pull the solenoid out to connect the power to the starter windings.
Mike

Big post to smaller (uninsulated) post. Be careful, you’ll bypass the neutral safety portion.

I appreciate the help. Just to make sure I've got this down. I jump the large approx. 9/16 threaded stud on the bottom battery + to the threaded connection just above it. Basically the same as touching the big lug to the small lug if I were to reach all the way down to the starter.

IMG_5896.PNG

I appreciate the help. Just to make sure I've got this down. I jump the large approx. 9/16 threaded stud on the bottom battery + to the threaded connection just above it. Basically the same as touching the big lug to the small lug if I were to reach all the way down to the starter.

View attachment 610855
YUP!

Here's the latest. I disconnected the shifter linkage and confirmed the trans lever was in park. No dice. So I jumped the relay and it worked like a champ. Thank u guys. No I can figure why no ground to the NSS

Auto Transport Service
Back