• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Junkyard Brake Parts

MI6

Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
As the new owner of a 71 Satellite I'm a little confused concerning which years and vehicles to use the spindles out of to convert from front drum to disc. The instructions I've read about which ones to use have been for other years and different bodies (A and E).

I've read that the spindles from any 73 and up (how far up?) B, F, J, M and R body cars will work, but this was for an A body. Is this information correct for a 71 B body?

What about the rest of the hardware needed to complete the job (calipers, rotors, brackets etc.)? Will parts from the same years and bodies work?

I'd like to just order a complete aftermarket set and put it on but right now cost is prohibitive so I'm looking at trying the yard route. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Easiest way is to get the yard to unbolt the spindles with rotors,calipers, and hoses intact from the upper and lower ball joints as a complete unit. That way, you have all the parts. Get the master cylinder, too. Write down what year and model you get the parts off of, that way you can go your local parts store and get a new rotor, bearings, rebuilt calipers, pads, whatever you may need. If you take them off yourself, you'll need a big hammer and a "pickle fork" to get it off the upper ball joint. Don't forget to take the tension off the torsion bar first. If I remember right you don't need a new proportioning valve, yours will work fine. I got mine off a Dart, hardest part was finding a hose that worked without kinking on my 70 Road Runner. Good luck!

Thanks for the info Greg. Sounds like there is a great deal of interchangeability between years and models at least for disc brakes. Any specific years and/or models that I should focus on?

Somebody wiser than I may know years and models, but in a nutshell they are all similar. Later cars have slightly taller spindles but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Some later cars like late 70s Chargers, Cordobas and Dodge St. Regis have a bigger rotors which will stop you a bit better but may not fit under 14" wheels. If I were looking and had time, I would find any car that had a good clean rotor and caliper. Check out car-part.com, an on line boneyard listing. It can save you a lot of driving as you can search for a specific year and model car part. Good luck!

that is true but to keep the swap simple that 86 5th avenue has the proper caliper mounting it's on the back side of the wheel wich is a better location for the stock aplication. You wont have to relocate the brake lines.

Thanks for all the help. Last time I was at the local JY that had the potential donors I didn't pay attention to what they were. I just looked at the front end to see if it was intact. But now I know what to check for. Right now the car has 14" wheels so looks like I may have to change them, which I was planning to do anyway.

I used spindles off a 73 charger with new rotors they fit under 14 in rims
even the right bolt pattern

Yes you can use those but it's a lot harder to find a 73 charger

Better check into the prop. valve swap. I think the front/back % are different from drum/drum to disc/drum. Maybe be wrong, it's been known to happen.

Thanks for all the help. Seems there's a conspiracy around here to keep me from getting much done on the Satellite, but eventually it will be on the road.

So far I haven't been able to find any 70's era cars anywhere close by. I guess they all got crushed.

I have found a couple 87 Diplomats. Would the spindles etc. off this car fit and work? I've found opinions both ways on this. If the parts off this car will work I'll get everything for the front brakes including the master cyl and prop valve.

friend of mine use spindles and rotors,and calipers from a diplomat ,and tech support from right stuff detailing recomended using stock prop valve and lines, and the adjustable prop valve in the front to rear line to compansate for the different front/back %
rightstuff website is www.getdiscbrakes.com 800-405-2000tech support and ordering

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. I didn't check out the general discussion area thinking it was for something else. Looks like the Diplomat spindles will work.

Auto Transport Service
Back