• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keying your cars alike?

j-c-c-62

Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
So those with multiple 60 & 70's Mopar's ever considered or had your cars keyed alike?
Seems it would make my life easier.
Any downsides not obvious?
There is not a lot of turnover with my "fleet".

I’ve thought about doing this, haven’t found a locksmith that wants to take on these older locks.

I’ve thought about doing this, haven’t found a locksmith that wants to take on these older locks.
I found one 35? miles away, that part is solved.
I wonder though, can I buy a bunch of cylinders already keyed the same, and do the job myself?

Changing key codes is very simple. Just need a few extra locks because they only used so many pin lengths, just different combinations. Get a couple of junk locks and practice. Google how to do it. Easy peasy

If you loose your keys whoever finds them can get into both your cars. Now that you posted it here the whole world knows! :poke: :poke: :lol:

We have a really good locksmith in a nearby town. Doesn't take them but a few minutes to rekey ignition and door cylinders. That is if they are originals. They do a lot of swearing with all the new reproduced stuff saying it is junk and always tell me to bring in vintage cylinders.

Heard a few years ago Leno had this done for his collection. Nice 'problem' to have, lol.

Keying cars alike from different centuries and makes would require one of those real estate home for sale lock boxes hung on the door handles?:lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back