• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

la 318 question

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Keeping the charger original ,my question is my 318 is bored 30 over and I believe a tow cam. Was going to slap a 4 barrel intake on but now was thinking just putting a 2 barrel 500 cfm holley instead. Will have duel exhaust on it. Whats your thoughts on this? I believe I will have to get a different air cleaner. This is a cruiser not a race car. Thanks.

Keeping the charger original ,my question is my 318 is bored 30 over and I believe a tow cam. Was going to slap a 4 barrel intake on but now was thinking just putting a 2 barrel 500 cfm holley instead. Will have duel exhaust on it. Whats your thoughts on this? I believe I will have to get a different air cleaner. This is a cruiser not a race car. Thanks.
I always like power on tap so 4bbl intake and carb would be my suggestion but thing is do you wanna blow the money associated with the up grade?

9 out of 10 times I would say go for the 4 barrel. This may be the time I say try it. You can get a 500 with elec choke also if that interests you. Make sure it opens freely and fully on your 2 barrel intake. It should be an improvement over the factory setup. If you still want a 4 barrel later you will have no problem selling the holley.

I almost just put one on the 400 in my Newport. I found a used 4 barrel intake cheap enough and already had a holley 650 spread bore ready to go.

The 2 barrel itself isn't that bad. It's the 2 barrel intake thats not great. A good 4 barral dual plane with a 2 barrel adapter. It's done all the time in oval track racing where they are limited to a 2 barrel.
Doug

trying to look at different options, I do have a eddy 4 barrel laying around so just need the intake. Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

I remember a friend in high school had an early fox body Mustang. With a police interceptor 351-2V. It was the fastest car in town, for high school kids anyway.
Give it a whirl, I’d look for the 2 barrel single plane intake if it were mine.

Hi rise 4 barrel intake with a blower is the way I’d go. :fool: :poke:
just ordered it Mike
1705191471143.jpeg

trying to look at different options, I do have a eddy 4 barrel laying around so just need the intake. Thanks Guys :thumbsup:
Go with the 4 barrel. 500 2 barrels aren't a bad carb but they aren't the best for mileage.

Do the 4 barrel.
I have run a lot of different combinations on a 318, they respond to a decent intake and a bigger carb. Biggest issue is the ports being shorter then the 340 and 360 limiting intake choices. You can run the bigger port intake (seem to run ok) but it's not ideal.
Also...if comparing to a 4 barrel holley the 500 2 barrel is about 353 cfm!!!! 2 barrels are rated differently.
We made a homemade intake w 3 2 barrels on a 318, several different 4 barrel intakes, 2 barrel intakes, and two turbo set ups. All those cars are bb powered now..Lol

Last edited:
Go with the 4 barrel. 500 2 barrels aren't a bad carb but they aren't the best for mileage.
I had a 71 with a 360 2 bbl. When I got it there was a bad flat spot off cruise, so I jetted it up which got rid of the flat spot.
Fuel mileage was terrible though.

I used a casting number 3462848 (or 2531915?) Dodge 340 intake manifold on my 318 almost 50 years ago. It worked just fine. It is heavy of course. These things go for around $350 on eBay plus around another $100 for shipping. I paid $35 for mine in 1975 and grumbled about it. Anyway, you can probably get an aftermarket aluminum intake from one of the manufacturers for much less than $350. I have no suggestions on which aftermarket intake to use, nor any suggestions for a carb. Well, other than pick a carb with around 550 plus/minus 50 cfm and go towards the low side.

s-l1200~2.jpg
IMG_5384 (2)~2.jpg

If “I” were doing a cruiser 318, a Edelbrock Performer and a Edelbrock AVS II 650, it is not to much for a stock 318. Jet to time accordingly. Since you’re cruising on the primaries, it’ll be excellent in doing its job.

The trans linkage and maybe the throttle cable will have to be addressed. I myself just like to use a Lokar cable set up. Cheap and easy to use vs searching out OE parts. I also like to add on an extra throttle return spring. The Lokar takes with two spring but I just like the third in the OE fashion.

You can search out a factory 4bbl. air cleaner for the carb. They fit right on the Edelbrock carbs.

Don't those large 2 barrels have a much larger baseplate than the OEM 318 BBD?

IIRC an native intake for that is not even made.

Square bore Edelbrock 4 barrel intakes, OTOH can be had at swap meets for about $100.

Last edited:
First you need to know there are two different heads on a 318. Most 2 barrel engines have small intake runners. That is why you get two different size intake gaskets in a rebuild kit. Your standard 318/340/360 intake have the larger so the match up is not there so some porting will need to be done. OR, I found a 81 Dodge Diplomat that had a 318 four barrel factory set up with the intake having the smaller runners so the match was great. I than put a Holley 390 CFM 4 barrel with an adapter and ran stock dual exhausts. Works fantastic. Air cleaner was from a 340 I got at a swap meet.

New eng 1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back