• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Laser welders

Don selleck

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
Been seeing alot of these laser welders, rust cleaners, and metal cutting models being pushed on adds mostly chinese stuff. Any one have any experience with some good quality models that don't cost a fortune? or is there any at all? thanks.

Some perspective from an application my company developed to replace the soldering process to attach 30 and 26AWG wires to connectors for cable assemblies.
Pros:
Fast compared to soldering and other wire attach methods.

Cons:
Adjusting the laser to not get a hot or cold joint is tricky. It takes a lot of work and trial&error.
The lens of the laser gets dirty and possibly damaged during continued use. A cleaning schedule is required to keep the lens clean.
Laser degradation. The output of the laser changes over time. The more it’s used the faster it will degrade.

I’m not talking about an industrial application, so some of these things may or may not apply. For ex, the sensitivity of the hot/cold joint may be more forgiving with thicker materials.
My $0.02

Auto Transport Service
Back