• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leaf spring change???

tjgp360

Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
one of my old leaf springs broke and the ride is horrific,so now i have to replace them

i already bought replacements for both sides they are mopar XHD springs
i want to tackle the project this weekend but i have no experience at all when it comes to leaf springs, so what tools so i need exactly ?

i have done a bunch of reading but i never seen anything that actually referenced a b-body.

so what i want to know is what are the exact steps for replacing the rear springs in detail so that it goes smooth from start to finish

May want to get some new U bolts as the old ones my be so rusty and crusty they don't want to come off.

Just need a jack, ratchet wrench and a socket seet. Maybe an angle grinder too to cut off the U bolts if they are stuck and need replaced.

All there is to it is unbolting the old ones and bolting in the new set.
Do one side at a time.

Were did you order your springs from? did you go with a stock replacement spring or something different? I need to put new springs under the Belvedere and haven't done a lot of reserch yet. I call one place and they asked if it had 5 or 6 leafs. I personally don't want the car to ride rough, just was interested in how you picked what to buy?

Thanks

This is how I preffer pulling them out. Not to say it's by the book

Get your car up off the ground on 4 jacks (2 front frame rails, 2 rear), if you don't have a lift.

Lightly support the rear axle with a jackstand on each end of the axle housing before the spring mounts. Don't put any kind of load on it.

Remove your rear shocks at the shock mount pad. I remove mine completely so the aren't dangling in my way.

Remove your 4 u-bolts or half the time, cut them off because they're rotten/seized.

You can either remove the single bolt through the bushing at the front spring mount or just remove the whole spring mount hanger (four nuts on the front side of the hanger)

Either remove the bolt from the leaf spring to rear spring hanger bolt or the rear spring hanger to shackle mount.

In the past, ive made my decision on which bolt/hanger to remove on the front or back based on how seized or rotton either one is and which would be easier to get out.

Good luck to ya

Let us know how those springs fit and function. I've been toying with buying the the mopar performance super stock springs, they claim to be a fit without spring hanger relocation.

Let us know how those springs fit and function. I've been toying with buying the the mopar performance super stock springs, they claim to be a fit without spring hanger relocation.

S/S springs fit in the stock location. You will need a set of extended hangers to fit a B body but they are a bolt on deal.

The SS springs are 'A' body length and that's the reason you need the extended front hangers. Personally, I don't like the SS springs and have a spring shop make up what I want or do them myself using the XHD and tailor them to suit what I need....

Were did you order your springs from? did you go with a stock replacement spring or something different? I need to put new springs under the Belvedere and haven't done a lot of reserch yet. I call one place and they asked if it had 5 or 6 leafs. I personally don't want the car to ride rough, just was interested in how you picked what to buy?

Thanks

I know this isn't the same, but I ordered new springs for my 57 Belvedere from ESPO. I was satisfied with them. ESPO gave me the choice of 5 or 6 leaves.

I changed out the stock springs on my 69 bee (sold it) with the heavy Super stock versions with no isues and it did bring the ride heoght up a bit but they need to settle and the old ones were wore out. You will also want new bushings if they did not come with them.

Bruce

okay i know im super late but im here to let you guys know what i think about these XHD springs

*Drum roll*..............They are TRASH!!!, no honestly they aren't that bad but they have dropped my rear end ride height CONSIDERABLY! it looks as if i purposely tried to "tuck" the back tires in to the wheel well.

Here's the deal, these xhd springs feel like they sink the car really low, and in my case they increased the amount of traction in the rear, I mean its the kind of traction where i can stop WOT and my passengers can tell which tire had the most torque.

As for the ride quality it doesn't feel like im driving a 28 foot bayliner anymore, its less boat-y and more truck-y like the first generation durango when they were new lol.

the springs do well on moderate bumps but when it comes to the monstrous its horrible because my dang car is so low, i will try to get pics up

well my new question now is how do i keep these springs AND raise my ride height ?

Are any of you guys using adjustable shocks??That would help "taylor" the ride to your likings and increase traction for the heavy foot.

Auto Transport Service
Back