• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leanest Cylinder

jabird

Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
Is there a "rule of thumb" to go by as to what SHOULD be, in THERORY, the leanest cylinder on a 440 mopar? The combination in question is a 540" with crossram intake. I will be putting it on an engine run stand next week and have an extra EGT probe and gauge sitting around, so I was going to wire it up for the heck of it. I have been told in the past that #1 was, but that was in a drag car scenario

what do you have ? wide band O2 that you put in the header tube, i.e. drill hole, weld in bung ? miss read, temp prob you drill hole in header ?

Are you running a factory style cross ram? Or an Indy 440-25?
Doug

Here is the recommended jetting from Chrysler back in the day out of the 1976 Direct-Connection Racing Manual: The 3705 carb is very similar to and Eddy 750. This will get you in the ballpark. Move all jet sizes an equal amount.
1963 Stage III 426 Super Stock cars with the 3447 Carter carbs:
Main jets: Primary = .098"
Secondary = .082"
Step-up (metering) rods: .068 X .050
For the 1964 426 Max. Wedge cars with the 3705 Carter carbs:
Main jets: Primary = .104"
Secondary = Choke side .063" Throttle side .089"
Step-up (metering) rods: .066" X .053"
Also, on these carbs (the 3705s), the recommended float setting changes from 7/16" to 7/32"
Doug

starting out with out of the box QUICK FUEL 750's ...22-74 jets

You know that intake is going to kill it. The Indy 440-25 is worth close to 100hp on that motor.
Doug

It's just a street motor we are playing with

IMG_1449.JPG

without a load on the engine the exhaust temps will mean nothing,zero,zip.

Man, that's a big difference.....
I run all my AFB style floats high. Brings the main circuit in quicker. With proper fuel pressure they won't spill over (6PSI or lower)
Doug

When I dynod my max wedge motor, which is no where near your size displacement wise, nor are my cylinder heads of your caliber (mine are stock 518 m.w.) I noticed that cylinder(2 and 7) sparkplug looked funny. Now they werent lean looking, nor were they overly rich looking, hard to describe. Once I got my jetting closer to factory m.w. settings, my bfcs dropped from being way rich to being acceptable, plugs 2 and 7 started looking a little more normal. So I would suggest starting a step or 2 above factory 3705 staggered jetting, run the orange coloured step up springs and go from there. Make sure you have enough jets for adjusting. Of course Im a day late and dollar short, after i get my motor dynod etc, I was in Ft Lauderdale and stopped by Wilson intakes to chat and they told me they can cut the intake apart, clean up the insides and weld it back together and pick up 60 plus horsepower and it looks stock. They told me theyve done a couple for the F.A.S.T. guys. The catch is they need the cylinder heads so they can bolt everything together to line things up, of course it isnt cheap something north of 3 grand. Is it as good as a new manifold....no, do you leave power on the table, yes. What kind of exhaust are you running, factory manis or headers?

Last edited:
My thought on the float level was backwards.....

My bad I just noticed you are running the QF carbs, I have never monkeyed with those so, Im kind of curious as to what your power going to look like, and to see how your plugs are going to look like with a modern carb. Where are you going to dyno the motor at?

Auto Transport Service
Back