• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifter differences

nutz4spd

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
What are the differences between lifters from a 65 and older RB compared to a later 60's 440? Some site show sets that fit year ranges from 1958 to 1965 and others only from 68-72. I thought the valve train in the big block were all the same?? I checked out a lifter from a 67/68 440 and compared it to one out of my '65 413 (top lifter). Same diameter, about .010 shorter, but the oil ring is what threw me off. I know the oil hole in the lifter bore is pretty big, but I would think the bottom lifter wouldn't work regardless. Am I wrong? Also I noticed the lifter for the 68 and newer 440 had some spring in the cup where as mine did not.

20240418_122449.jpg

I ran into this with my 66 Charger. The 66 and earlier pushrods have a tapered end and so the seat in the lifter is smaller. If you use later model pushrods, you can use the later model lifters.

I ran into this with my 66 Charger. The 66 and earlier pushrods have a tapered end and so the seat in the lifter is smaller. If you use later model pushrods, you can use the later model lifters.
qkcuda is right. The 67 and earlier are different than 68 and later. Just make sure your lifters and pushrods are the same size on the lifter cup end.

Yes the early pushrods were tapered with a 1/4" end

Ah, yes..I did notice the seat was a little different. I talked to a guy at Summit too and he said the same thing. I took a couple of the lifters in question apart to see if the springs were broken and they weren't. But that doesn't mean anything I suppose.

As shown in your photo, some can look different, but should still work, if the cup height is the same. I don't know anything about wedge ball sizes at the end of the pushrods. All my old pushrods laying around here for a 426 Hemi are 3/8" ball on the bottom. Yet nowadays people use 5/16" balls on the bottom. Life gets confusing. So yes, make sure the radius of the ball matches the radius of the lifter. I thought all hydraulic cam wedge pushrods were 5/16" ball ends. But I admitted I don't know anything about a wedge.

Here is a picture of an early pushrod. Notice it is only tapered on the lifter end.

IMG_20240418_191824086.jpg

That's exactly what mine look like. So I have an early model valve train. Great. I was hoping the previous owner changed all that with the cam swap. All well.

The top lifter with the lower oil band is from a small block. They will work in a big block.

The top lifter with the lower oil band is from a small block. They will work in a big block.
So this thing has small block lifters in it?? I didn't know they were interchangeable. They look a lot like ones for a big block from CompCams or even Summit's version.

Somebody realised that the SB lifters could be used in the BBs. So I think some cam companies offer the same lifter for both engines.

I can see that. I compared both and the sb ones are the same diameter but slightly shorter.

Auto Transport Service
Back