• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lifters

mac

Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
can someone either post a pic or explain the physical differences between a big block and a small block hydraulic flat tappet lifter?

Seat height, lifter height, and any outside grooves for oiling on the lifter body. The lifter on the left is a SB, and the one to the right is an early BB lifter (for my 331 Hemi). You can see the height difference on the lifter and seat depth. The later BB lifter should be the same as the early BB, just with a wider oil groove.

IMG_5087.JPG IMG_5088.JPG

ok update. here is a pic of what i am working with. the one on the left is what i took out and the one on the right is a brand new comp lifter.
20160915_172449_zpszjmuaurb.jpeg

a few years ago when i bought the lifters from summit which is a mopar performance piece was this number https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4006767ab/overview/

that pic does not seem to match what i have. my own fault for not catching it but it seems to be for a different application. the new lifter is https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-822-16/overview/make/dodge. which appears to be more correct. does this look like it makes more sense? engine is 1974 440 block

To minimize part numbers and costs, they (Comp Cams) are using the "close enough" solution to reduce their overhead by consolidating multiple applications. Most times, people will check their pushrod length, or use adjustable pushrods. Going by specs, there is only about 0.030" between lifters (BB/SB), and they consider this to be in the noise... (electronics reference) :)

You can always check the dry lash after you install the rocker shafts by using the intake closing-adj exh, exhaust opens-adj int. Push down on the pushrod end, and the dry lash should be 0.060" to 0.210" which can be measured between the valve and rocker arm tip.

So, in a word, I think you will be fine, just check your lash. Also, if you look at your links, the lifter is taller, but the pushrod seat height looks about the same.

An actual stock lifter part number for the late (68 and up) would be HA976, while an early (67 and down) would be HA812, and a small block is HA2011. The prefix can change due to manufacturers, but the base number usually remains the same.

An actual stock lifter part number for the late (68 and up) would be HA976, while an early (67 and down) would be HA812, and a small block is HA2011. The prefix can change due to manufacturers, but the base number usually remains the same.

thanks for the info. would the lifter on the left be for an older big block like from the 1950's?

thanks for the info. would the lifter on the left be for an older big block like from the 1950's?
In my pic, it is on the right, in your pic, it looks like the one on the left.

Auto Transport Service
Back