• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little holes in the floorboard, repair or replace?

I had a few area of floor pitting in low areas (no holes) on previously media blasted floor that I was about to put some sound deadening mat on. I mixed up some 3M Panel Bonding adhesive and used a plastic bonding spreader to skim over the pitting. Then after setting, spent a few minutes with a sanding block. Not sure I accomplished a great seal other than to satisfy my own obsession but I’m a big fan of that panel adhesive where larger replacement/repairs or welding aren’t really practical.

This car is one of mine that had pin holes patched with all metal. This car was done in 2003. These pics were taken 2 years ago. Don't let this type of repair scare you. The floor was just to nice to cut up. To this day you can't tell where it was done.
Doug

20170215_185432.jpg

20170215_185034.jpg

Treat i with some rust treatment of choice. Or wire wheel it. if they dont grown anymore than shown,

I would fill them iwth all metal , and drive it

I did just that on a car a few years back. Its not like these cars get driven in inclement weather anymore. Most nevereven get wet again

On my GTX, I cleaned up my passenger pan and had similar pinholes after blasting. I laid in a few coats of SilverBullet Rust Coating. It holds on tight and sealed the holes. I did the same in the pinch weld seams in my door. Painted it on and let it flow into the cracks.

Thank you all for your time to provide your recommendations for this type of repair. I am currenlty watching/teaching my 16-year-old to prep his 74 RR for install on a rotisserie. This is not a full resto but will make a bit cleaner preservation/refinish. We found a semi-rotted roller and 3 additional 73-74 parts cars and all but one has simular floor pans and other panels. It has been made difficult that I have not had any luck in finding re-pop panels. I did however find a floor pan and some inner wheel well parts out there. We have been discussing transplanting floor sections and panels of these to his, but there are pin holes and rust through in all sections. The one with the good floor pan may become my next project.
I plan to reach out to you in the future.

Last edited:
I had a few pin holes in the same spot that I wire wheeled to clean it up good. Then smeared some Por 15 hole repair in a tube in the holes. That stuff sets up hard as steel. I then primed and painted. That was over 20 years ago and it hasn't caused any issues.

My route was UST sub-frame connectors for that extra flex reduction and HP after patching any metal an awl poked through.

Auto Transport Service
Back