• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for opinions

oldchevelle541

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
As with all car guys you are always keeping your eye out for something interesting or better than what you have. Over the last few days I see a '69 Roadrunner with non-number Hemi for sale by Grave Yard Carz. Car has no fender tag or any documentation. It was done for someone now it's back. Tough to consider paying out well into the 6 figures without a fender tag, broadcast sheet etc. I then saw yesterday a nice yellow '69 Dodge Superbee on Hanksters. Watched the video and immediately sales guy says no fender tag. This car is on consignment and he said he does not know when the paint job was done, etc. etc. I was also curious why under the hood was painted black instead of body color. Trunk under mat appears to have some issues.

Just curious what everyone thinks about these 2 cars especially with both missing fender tags.

Mine doesn’t have a fender tag. It also is painted black under the hood. Neither of these issues were of my fault or doing. I haven’t noticed any issue these have caused in drivability. My guess is that I never will.

It would cause me concern if is was a very expensive car. Then I would expect those things.

Regarding car #1 - Maybe just me - But I would never peel off well over $100k+ for a car (Hemi or not) missing all what you state. Those things help speak to the pedigree and for that much I think you deserve the pedigree with the car.

As far as the Bee goes - you didn’t say $$. If it’s a great car w/no fender tag I would not let that stop me if the $$ was in my range. Of course a complete inspection prior to purchase on any car as far as Im concerned.
Good luck!

No pics? I bought my Bee with no fender tag or BS. The Bee is the most I spent on a Mopar so far. I believe I will get my money back if I sell it even though it doesnt have the number matching engine or 4 sp. I dont plan on selling it.

dragweek 506.jpg

P1020782.JPG

P1020780.JPG

A hemi car is another story for me,I would want ALL

Thanks all for the feedback. On the Hemi car we are talking well over $100K. For the Bee the dealer has it at a fair market price IMO. With these important things missing and the fact that most dealers claim they know little about the car sends up a red flag to me. Did they not gather the information from the previous owner before they posted the car ? You have to draw every little piece of information out of them as opposed to them thinking this guy is ready to spend a lot of money and I want them to feel as comfortable as possible where everyone is happy after the transaction. I was just looking at another over the weekend where it was a restored car but fender tag was so far gone it was barely readable. I was told car has no bondo. Can't imagine being at a show with a restored car and always having someone question the tag. My response to the dealer was that I would want to see photos of the car before restoration. Did not get a "we have those" response. Regardless of the situation in our hobby we have to follow our gut. If it does not feel right move on.

Mine doesn’t have a fender tag. It also is painted black under the hood. Neither of these issues were of my fault or doing. I haven’t noticed any issue these have caused in drivability. My guess is that I never will.

It would cause me concern if is was a very expensive car. Then I would expect those things.
Maybe the painter dealt mostly with GM, hence the black engine bays.

It's all about the shape. Mine has no fender tag (original owner took it off for safe keeping) Funny how that worked out?? And it had the wrong build sheet on the rear seat. Seemed to have happened quite often. I never did check the back of the buckets yet. Not holding out hope. Anyway mine is a matching numbers 23000 mile 383 Mag ,727, 8.75 console/power window non R/T Was offered 70Gs Canadian in the spring. I never gave it a second thought. And it's still on the rotisserie.

mirror on .jpg

tank.jpg

Rear axel.jpg

brake second time.jpg

interior.jpg

Buying because you have the dough, you like it, and just want to drive it, no tag required. Buying because you are a "collector" or investor, it needs all the documentation.

It's all about the shape. Mine has no fender tag (original owner took it off for safe keeping) Funny how that worked out?? And it had the wrong build sheet on the rear seat. Seemed to have happened quite often. I never did check the back of the buckets yet. Not holding out hope. Anyway mine is a matching numbers 23000 mile 383 Mag ,727, 8.75 console/power window non R/T Was offered 70Gs Canadian in the spring. I never gave it a second thought. And it's still on the rotisserie.

View attachment 1587119

View attachment 1587120

View attachment 1587122

View attachment 1587123

View attachment 1587124
Beautiful color.

Auto Transport Service
Back