• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

loose horn ring

Cornpatch MO

Local time
10:41 PM
Reaction score
1968 Satellite-Roadrunner GTX Maybe 68-70 and Dodge? Not the wood rimed optional one.. My horn ring is a little loose , like whatever kind of spring in there is weak. Only one area in the ring will make the horn honk. How do I get the horn ring off? Does anyone have a pic of the parts break down ? Thanks for any help..............................MO

Cornpatch you have a pic of the wheel in question? If it’s this one you gotta remove the center emblem and there’s a screw under it that holds the horn ring on.
21DAFDFF-FD9E-441B-87CB-890D3C07D7A4.jpeg

The center bolt holds the steering wheel on, the horn ring id held onto the horn button with three screws. They are probably loose. Remove the pad, and you should see them.

The center bolt holds the steering wheel on, the horn ring id held onto the horn button with three screws. They are probably loose. Remove the pad, and you should see them.

Yes one nut holds the wheel on He was asking how to tighten the horn ring. There’s a bolt under the center emblem that holds the 69’ style I posted a pic of. See the hole? The other one which should be 68’ the center pad twists off and the horn ring screws are obvious.
58E9A283-C3E5-47BD-BB13-1EB8DED76BF8.jpeg
E3487FC4-E6C0-41FE-9452-907D7500EE04.jpeg

Here’s a pic of a 68’ with the pad removed.
E3487FC4-E6C0-41FE-9452-907D7500EE04.jpeg
[ATTACH=

Last edited:
Yes one nut holds the wheel on He was asking how to tighten the horn ring. There’s a bolt under the center emblem that holds the 69’ style I posted a pic of. See the hole? The other one which should be 68’ the center pad twists off and the horn ring screws are obvious.View attachment 981290View attachment 981289
Here’s a pic of a 68’ with the pad removed.
View attachment 981289
I didn't know the 1968 was a one year steering wheel . Mine is like the one you have shown, but mine is a dull silver finish.. I thought the three small screws just held the metal " disc" to the horn ring, but taking them out also lets the horn ring come off? Unplug the horn wire to separate them. Is there some kind of spring under that " disc" ? I think that is the problem , because the three small screws are not loose.. Any likely risk of breaking any parts under the horn ring that is for the horn connections. ( age brittled plastic) ?
Any pics or parts breakdown of what is under the horn ring? Thanks for your help..............................MO

it sounds like the springs in horn switch are broken

Auto Transport Service
Back