• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost keys

Aron Gleason

Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
I lost my keys, looked all over. After my outing yesterday, I put gas in the fuel cell. I'm hoping I didn't leave the keys in the trunk. Can the trunk lock be picked without any damage?

Drill it out and replace, or call
a locksmith, are about your
only options. The locksmith
can "pick" the lock cylinder
and once removed, cut a
new key, or replace with a
new cylinder and key.
If it were mine, I'd drill out
the center of the cylinder
and get a new one. JMHO.

If you left your keys in the trunk while fueling up, how did you get home? Keep looking.
^^^ This......hmmmmmm..... are your keys not on the same bunch?

My mom lost the keys to her 70 Charger R/T SE when I was a kid. I had a ring of about 50 Mopar keys I grabbed from junkyards. One of them fit and started her car. I already knew what key fit,so I tried about ten other ones before getting her car started. She said thanks and I will be keeping that key. I wasn't smart enough to make another copy of the key back then. I used to race the kids at school with her car,when she wasn't home and the car was.

20220531_224057.jpg

Last edited:
Got a lock pick set some years ago and used it on a few different locks, took some time, but opened the locks I tried it on. If there's pressure on the lock a helper is - helpful.

Is the glove box keyed the same?

It should be if it's as original.

When this problem is resolved, I hope you have access to a hardware store that won't rip you off on cutting a set of duplicate keys. Local locksmith used to cut duplicates for me using original Chrysler blanks, was happy to regrind for free if they didn't work the first time. Son took over, refused to cut a blank I provided for my last GTX, wanted to rip me off for one of his aftermarkets. I took my business elsewhere, and now the guy's out of business. Tru Value Hardware in my area still cuts keys with blanks provided by customers.

If you left your keys in the trunk while fueling up, how did you get home? Keep looking.
^^^ This......hmmmmmm..... are your keys not on the same bunch?
Fuel cell.....running race gas? I kept racing fuel in my shop so mine got gassed up at the track and anytime the cell was low I put fuel in it at home.
My mom lost the keys to her 70 Charger R/T SE when I was a kid. I had a ring of about 50 Mopar keys I grabbed from junkyards. One of them fit and started her car. I already knew what key fit,so I tried about ten other ones before getting her car started. She said thanks and I will be keeping that key. I wasn't smart enough to make another copy of the key back then. I used to race the kids at school with her car,when she wasn't home and the car was.

View attachment 1662736
I still have a lot of keys but not as many as used to.....
When this problem is resolved, I hope you have access to a hardware store that won't rip you off on cutting a set of duplicate keys. Local locksmith used to cut duplicates for me using original Chrysler blanks, was happy to regrind for free if they didn't work the first time. Son took over, refused to cut a blank I provided for my last GTX, wanted to rip me off for one of his aftermarkets. I took my business elsewhere, and now the guy's out of business. Tru Value Hardware in my area still cuts keys with blanks provided by customers.
Mom and pop hardware that was right around the corner isn't there anymore. The owners wanted to retire and no one wanted to buy their two stores. They made all my keys but there's a hometown lumber yard 4 times further away that does a good job and don't charge an arm and both legs. Lots of times the 'offspring' think they know better how to run a successful business but really do not.

I second a lock pick set. The lock is the same as the glove box and it's dead easy to pick with a basic set. $5 on Amazon and you are good to go.

I second a lock pick set. The lock is the same as the glove box and it's dead easy to pick with a basic set. $5 on Amazon and you are good to go.
Can you remove the glove box lock and take it to a locksmith?
They could make a key that fits it.

I would be careful as somebody may have changed one of the locks. That's what happened to me. I had a trunk key that fits the trunk lock, but a different one to fit the glove box. The key is supposed to be the same from the factory. That's why I needed to pick it so I could open it up and rekey it. Also, to remove the glovebox barrel, you first need to lock it. That's what I used my pick set to do.

I would be careful as somebody may have changed one of the locks. That's what happened to me. I had a trunk key that fits the trunk lock, but a different one to fit the glove box. The key is supposed to be the same from the factory. That's why I needed to pick it so I could open it up and rekey it. Also, to remove the glovebox barrel, you first need to lock it. That's what I used my pick set to do.
Never took a glove box lock apart but someone years ago told me the glove box lock only had 3 tumblers in it.....is that true?
BTW... did you look in your back pocket again??
:rofl:That makes me laugh because I've done that before lol

Auto Transport Service
Back