• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lower ball joint dust boot

ddpsnake

Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
Ok is there a trick on installing the dust boot on my new lower ball joint i have tried and my fingers are almost done.The instruction say press firmly ya right.Help lol.

I used a piece of PVC tubing and gave it a quick blow with the hammer. Same for the uppers.

Ok is there a trick on installing the dust boot on my new lower ball joint i have tried and my fingers are almost done.The instruction say press firmly ya right.Help lol.

Another "trick" on any of the rubber parts including the Torsion bar rubber dust shields is to heat them up in some warm water for about 1 or 2 minutes. I use to struggle with the T bar boots and came up with this and it works like a dream.

I gave up after they tore. Once they compress they hold most of the grease anyway. Meh

A little grease rubbed around the edges helps as well.....

They can be a pain sometimes....I too use PVC pipe...I also round the outside and inside edges so they don't cut into the boot...

If you don't have a piece of PVC pipe try a big Socket over the boot.

So when it comes to the uppers,can the boot go on first,then screw it into the arm.Great tip boys.

Another "trick" on any of the rubber parts including the Torsion bar rubber dust shields is to heat them up in some warm water for about 1 or 2 minutes. I use to struggle with the T bar boots and came up with this and it works like a dream.
I found out this works also for the T bar boots,turn them inside out then slide it on and reverse it.

Careful with a socket.....the inside edge for a six or twelve point can cut the boot

Went at it for a tad today,and this is wear I am at so far today,too my surprise the bolt that attaches the spindle to ball joint is drilled for a cotter pin,never notice that on my A bodys.

S6560002.JPG

Went at it for a tad today,and this is wear I am at so far today,too my surprise the bolt that attaches the spindle to ball joint is drilled for a cotter pin,never notice that on my A bodys.

View attachment 561545
...when grandma sees you swiped her table cloth.....she's going to wup your *** son....

Auto Transport Service
Back