• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major 727 leak

Avenger

Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
I had to have my car towed home today... after punching it i was greeted with a cloud of smoke following me... was pouring transmission fluid out of the bell housing... whats the best way to drop the trans and what could be leaking like that? it ran out of fluid so it cant be minor lol ive been told maybe drain plug on torque converter or such... It still pours in park and when its cold too.

pump seal or torque conv seal would be my guess.as far as dropping the trans,if you dont have access to a lift,then jack stands and tons of fun in your future.

Could be a cracked converter, or a broken tranny case. Doesn't sound good to me, punching it and stuff breaking never ends up too good.

Any update on what the cause was? I had something exactly like this happen to me not too long ago and it turned out to be the pump.

Cracked convertor hub, bad pump bushing, bad pump seal. Trans needs to come out then I'll help you diagnois. Pump bushing and or seal is an easy fix. I can walk you through. Pressure testing the convertor is easy also. Get it it out. and repost what you see.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back