• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making more legroom...

well, Im back to it. had a ****-ton of other items to slash off the punchlist.

sooooooo I bought new seat bolts and am going to move them to the front-most holes.

my question is, how does one press the bolts into the hole?? it does not look like the risers can be taken off (too easily anyways)

The factory bolts are swagged in. When I did mine, I used a grinder to grind them out and then welded them in the forward most hole. Worked great and gave me enough extra room to be comfortable and I'm 6'2".

I always understood it as a sunroof will give more leg room and tilt wheel will allow more head room.

thank you Ranger, but no welder available...
I suppose if no welding capability is available you could always grind out the studs and through bolt them. Having the studs affixed just makes it easier to install, but how often are you going to do this.

I thought of taking the bolts and pulling them through with some washers at the top (to take up the space of the swege shoulder) kinda like you do with lug nut bolts. I reckon that should work...I hope lol

0998196-1.jpg

well, it didnt swedge as I thought it would. the "shoulder" was loose inside hole. sooooo I took a lock washer (to take up the space the shoulder sticks down between the bottom of the rail and the end of the threads) and a lock nut, and voila! bolts are in. nice and secure. It will probably move the seat up a little bit, but it will be negligible. Now I just have to make sure the seat sits right on floorboard.

DSC07655.JPG
DSC07656.JPG

Mine sat on round plastic discs (kind of like small hockey pucks) between the rail and the floor.

mine didnt have those. not that I remember anyways lol

I checked last night, and those lock nuts go thru the holes in the floor. so now I have to figure out how to get the seat nuts to hold tight to the floor board from underneath.

so I would use those lock washers in lieu of my lock nuts?

I think those lock washers might be meant to hold the spacers on, but your thought would work as well unless you want a tad more height. Then put a washer beneath the nut to spread the load. Mine has no lock washers at all. There's more than one way to skin this cat.

I ordered the spacer kit along with new seat nuts. I think i will try (from riser on down) lock washer to hold seat bolt, spacer, seat nut (under floorboard) and a lock nut (if threads allow). and see how sturdy that is.

thank you for all your help, Ranger. much obliged.

I've gotten some good help and info from this site. Glad I could be of some help and return the favor. Let us know how it works out.

P.S.
Where in Ill. are you?

I've gotten some good help and info from this site. Glad I could be of some help and return the favor. Let us know how it works out.

P.S.
Where in Ill. are you?

Will do.

Im a couple clicks south of ya in Lombard. My g-friend has a bunch of friends who live in/on the chain. Island Lake, Crystal Lake, Cary, Fox Lake...

I suspect we've been at a show or two together. Perhaps we'll meet up next year.
Had I known you where THAT close (and the spacers where not available), I would have made you a set.

I suspect we've been at a show or two together. Perhaps we'll meet up next year.
Had I known you where THAT close (and the spacers where not available), I would have made you a set.

mighty nice of ya! i really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

and ya, I wouldnt doubt we were at the cruise at the same time. I literally live 5 mins from where the cruise is held.

Don't think I've ever been down there. I think the southernmost one I've been to was in Geneva (excluding the Power Tour).

Auto Transport Service
Back