• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matt's '68 Charger R/T Project

Matt J

Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
Well I've finally started work on my Charger after owning the car for nearly 6yrs.
Most panels seem to have some rust and there have been some not so good repairs made to the rear quarters.
The corner pieces between rear quarters and valance are just bondo.

I'm only working on the car for a few hours each weekend so progress will be slow but at least I'm getting on with it now.

I've started drilling the spot welds on the tail panel and rear quarters.
I need to remove the rear screen before I can go much further. I didn't fancy my chances of getting it out in one piece today as the car is outside and it's pretty cold. I'll get it done soon. If not tomorrow I'll make it my first job next weekend.

Here's some pics taken with my iphone:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 702
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 664
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 660
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 677
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 621
Damn! not having an indoor spot to work on the car at this level really sucks and hard to make progress with only a couple hrs a week.
Good luck man.

Thanks Superfreak.

One of my neighbours knows a local farmer and works on his cars in one of the farmers outbuildings when they are empty from Feb to May. Hopefully I can get my car in there as well.

For now though I have to make do with the driveway.

I did most of the work on my old Charger on the drive (see pic) although I sent it out for paint.

- - - Updated - - -

I reassembled it on the patio!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 472
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 464
Amazing! Did you sell the old one? If so, why?

Reminds me of the online hot rod show "Roadkill". If you haven't seen it, I recommend it; all episodes are on youtube.

Good luck!

Amazing! Did you sell the old one? If so, why?

Reminds me of the online hot rod show "Roadkill". If you haven't seen it, I recommend it; all episodes are on youtube.

Good luck!

im afraid I did sell it. I was stupid really as it was my dream car and I sacrificed a lot of family time to build it.
My kids loved the car but after a while it didn't get used very much. I got to thinking I should sell it and use the money for something else.
My wife and kids pleaded with me not to sell it but I still did.
My wife cried when it was driven away.

A couple of years later she talked me into buying another so here we are years later with a Charger that needs a lot more work than the other one did.
But I will enjoy building it.

By by the way due to budget restraints this car will be done in the spirit of RoadKill. Although I won't be cutting any corners it will be done properly but I'll get it on the road ASAP and continually improve the car as time and funds allow.

Cheers.

I'll bet the wife won't let you sell this one when you're done.

I HOPE the wife wont let him sell it, That may be grounds for a break up for sure! :) Great project bud, keep-er-going!!!

Cheers fellas,

I'm definitely keeping this one!

I got about 2hrs in on the Charger this afternoon. It's very cold and windy outside so I didn't get much done.
The rear screen is out and safely stored away.

I need to remove the filler panel, drill out a few more spot welds and then I should be able to remove the drivers side rear quarter.

There's one spot weld though that is a little tricky to get to. It's the one in the rear window opening where the drip rail is spot welded to the quarter.
I have a right angle drill attachment but can't get the spot weld cutter square onto the weld.

Whats the solution here? I might try and drill it tomorrow but if that fails which I think it will I'm guessing I will have to cut around this section and drill the spot weld when the quarter panel is removed?

Is there a better or easier way that you guys would tackle this?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the sideways pic. I think this happens with iPhones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 409
im afraid I did sell it. I was stupid really as it was my dream car and I sacrificed a lot of family time to build it.
My kids loved the car but after a while it didn't get used very much. I got to thinking I should sell it and use the money for something else.
My wife and kids pleaded with me not to sell it but I still did.
My wife cried when it was driven away.

A couple of years later she talked me into buying another so here we are years later with a Charger that needs a lot more work than the other one did.
But I will enjoy building it.

By by the way due to budget restraints this car will be done in the spirit of RoadKill. Although I won't be cutting any corners it will be done properly but I'll get it on the road ASAP and continually improve the car as time and funds allow.

Cheers.

I like how it's going to be done "in the spirit of RoadKill!" I'm doing the same thing with my 73 roadrunner. It sat for 7 years as a shell, but now she has all new suspension and is slowly going back together. Drive it and enjoy it like it is!

I like how it's going to be done "in the spirit of RoadKill!" I'm doing the same thing with my 73 roadrunner. It sat for 7 years as a shell, but now she has all new suspension and is slowly going back together. Drive it and enjoy it like it is!

You're exactly right Diesel. "Drive it and enjoy it" which is what I didn't do with my last one as I had to be careful where I parked it incase it got scratched.

This is one though well get driven lots more and enjoyed to the max!

Quick update of where I'm at now.
Quarters, rear valance and tail panel are off.
I was hoping to repair the rear frame rails but after removing some of the trunk pan I can see they are toast and new rails are the only and best way forward.
I'm wondering if Goodmark rails will work with the AMD trunk pan that I already have or if I'd be making more work for myself should just buy AMD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 377
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 358
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 376
I assume you know they make partial rear replacement rails. My rear rails were shot also but they were not rusty from the hump frwd so the partial rear rails worked great, for me. They spliced in at the center of the hump over the axles, and you really can't tell that they've been done if you do them carefully.

Attachments

• IMAG0983.jpg
    IMAG0983.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 342
When I ordered my rails from an aftermarket parts supplier here in canada one came with goodmark sticker and the other with AMD and I can tell you if it Were not for those stickers if never have known. If you need rockers the goodmark rockers have the inner bracing already installed, from what I have seen the AMD don't. Not that I am knocking AMD as I plan to use AMD sheet metal, but I think for floors and frame rails etc goodmark is sufficient. Good luck on the project!

I assume you know they make partial rear replacement rails. My rear rails were shot also but they were not rusty from the hump frwd so the partial rear rails worked great, for me. They spliced in at the center of the hump over the axles, and you really can't tell that they've been done if you do them carefully.

Hi Daytona,
yeah I can get the partial rails no problem but am unsure about splicing them in. Obviously I have to make a very strong joint here. I would like to know the best way of doing this. Are they butt welded with 100% penetration or is any further strengthening on the inside of the rails also needed.? I was thinking that if I make a jig I can ensure that the new full length rails are installed in exactly the same place as the originals and may be a more straight forward install. But on the other hand partial rails would save me some hard earned cash.
Has anyone done a detailed thread on fitting partial rails?

i

- - - Updated - - -

When I ordered my rails from an aftermarket parts supplier here in canada one came with goodmark sticker and the other with AMD and I can tell you if it Were not for those stickers if never have known. If you need rockers the goodmark rockers have the inner bracing already installed, from what I have seen the AMD don't. Not that I am knocking AMD as I plan to use AMD sheet metal, but I think for floors and frame rails etc goodmark is sufficient. Good luck on the project!

This is good news Pat. Thanks for the reply. Interesting about the inner bracing on the rockers.

By by the way I'm keeping a close watch on your R/T thread. What an amazing build that will be. You will be/are a living legend in the mopar world for saving that one.

Actually Matt, if I remember correctly the goodmark rails come with park brake bracket already there and I know the floors already have the heavy bucket seat brackets spot welded in. All the little tid bits from the OE floors and rails you would usually have to transfer over is there. Again I know the AMD stuff is of higher quality which I think it's mandatory on quarters and fenders etc but the rails are the same thickness and stamping seem really nice. Some food for thought for you!

Actually Matt, if I remember correctly the goodmark rails come with park brake bracket already there and I know the floors already have the heavy bucket seat brackets spot welded in. All the little tid bits from the OE floors and rails you would usually have to transfer over is there. Again I know the AMD stuff is of higher quality which I think it's mandatory on quarters and fenders etc but the rails are the same thickness and stamping seem really nice. Some food for thought for you!

Many thanks Pat.

personally I would use full rails, JMHO.
The price difference isn't that much and depending on your welding skills..........

That's what I have are full rails, it is easy if your floor is good under the rear seat you can just drill out the rails and reweld the from the top

Full rails are the way to go if you can but the 1/2 rails like Daytona shows are good and they will work great, they have a lip all around and they slid into the original front portion, and drill a few plug weld holes on each side and the bottom (original rail) you just need to get them squared and level, measured right and weld them in, After you weld them in go down the seam where they fit in (new with original) and weld that and you can put some weld inside the top if your trunk pans are out, they will be good...

Hope you can see this good enough.. Shows the plug weld holes, and you can see the seam where they mate up you also weld...

005.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back