• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max wedge build

63savoy426

Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
I've tossed around ideas for my 63 savoy and I think im just going to go ahead and do the dream max wedge build. Heres what I have for parts...a 64 426 street wedge block, a 70 440 block, 74 440 block. I don't have any rotating assemblies.
I do plan on drag racing this car a little but a fair bit of street driving.
So what do I do?
Stroker? Find a complete 440?
I've heard that the crossram intake limits top end but I love the look.
Hopefully someone with experience can give me direction.

Thanks in advance

I've tossed around ideas for my 63 savoy and I think im just going to go ahead and do the dream max wedge build. Heres what I have for parts...a 64 426 street wedge block, a 70 440 block, 74 440 block. I don't have any rotating assemblies.
I do plan on drag racing this car a little but a fair bit of street driving.
So what do I do?
Stroker? Find a complete 440?
I've heard that the crossram intake limits top end but I love the look.
Hopefully someone with experience can give me direction.

Thanks in advance

Cheapest bang for the buck by far is to use a 440 short block and good heads with a repo intake for either stock or MW intake ports. Plenty of piston choices for 440. Custom only for the 426, l believe.

Cheapest bang for the buck by far is to use a 440 short block and good heads with a repo intake for either stock or MW intake ports. Plenty of piston choices for 440. Custom only for the 426, l believe.
I have a set a set of 915s. I've been looking for another car but if I dedicate those funds to this car, I've got some cash to spend

You can get a cross ram intake from A and A Motorsports, I believe is the company. It has the stock 440 port size. Use the 440 block and buy a rotating assy with crank, pistons and rods. That way it has a bigger bore size, and has been already balanced. I like the 512 cubic inch version. Pretty much the same price, 440 vs 512. So may as well go big.

I have a set a set of 915s. I've been looking for another car but if I dedicate those funds to this car, I've got some cash to spend

Build a 440 short block that will run on pump gas with the heads you are going to run, and find an intake. Use new edelbrock carbs and headers.

You can get a cross ram intake from A and A Motorsports, I believe is the company. It has the stock 440 port size. Use the 440 block and buy a rotating assy with crank, pistons and rods. That way it has a bigger bore size, and has been already balanced. I like the 512 cubic inch version. Pretty much the same price, 440 vs 512. So may as well go big.
Which heads and cam?

I've always liked the 915s. With larger valves and some mild port work they can be made to flow pretty good. Determine final engine size, then we can advise on heads and cam. It all depends on the final use of the car, and what you want it to do.

If it was my car, I'd build a 440 lower end, dont stroke it. The original intake was never designed for large cid motors, it will become a cork. Your head selection is important, so you need to figure out what intake you are going to run from A&A standard or MW size ports.

This project can sneek up on you $$$$ wise by the time you get intake, heads, carbs, fuel lines, throttle linkage, throttle cable (longer is needed) kickdown linkage if running auto trans. What kind of exhaust do you plan on running oem MW manifolds or headers? Do you want to run a mechanical cam or hydraulic? Do you have an oil pan for early bbody? These are some of the costs to consider. Its a cool look, and when tuned correctly is a blast to drive on the street, dont pass up gas stations lol.

So once you figure out exactly what head you are going to use, you need to build it up from there. Ive done a couple of MW motors and they are fun, but can get $$$$ quickly.

I've always liked the 915s. With larger valves and some mild port work they can be made to flow pretty good. Determine final engine size, then we can advise on heads and cam. It all depends on the final use of the car, and what you want it to do.
I want to drag race it but street drive quite a bit. Preferably pump gas. Theres a 400 based 499 stroker for sale locally. Not sure if i can use a b block.
I was thinking 451 or 512. Still thinking about it

If it was my car, I'd build a 440 lower end, dont stroke it. The original intake was never designed for large cid motors, it will become a cork. Your head selection is important, so you need to figure out what intake you are going to run from A&A standard or MW size ports.

This project can sneek up on you $$$$ wise by the time you get intake, heads, carbs, fuel lines, throttle linkage, throttle cable (longer is needed) kickdown linkage if running auto trans. What kind of exhaust do you plan on running oem MW manifolds or headers? Do you want to run a mechanical cam or hydraulic? Do you have an oil pan for early bbody? These are some of the costs to consider. Its a cool look, and when tuned correctly is a blast to drive on the street, dont pass up gas stations lol.

So once you figure out exactly what head you are going to use, you need to build it up from there. Ive done a couple of MW motors and they are fun, but can get $$$$ quickly.
I've heard that smaller cubes are better for the intake too. I would like to do a hydraulic cam and max wedge exhaust manifolds. I have multiple pushbutton 727s so thats what I was going to do there. Im replacing the floor pans currently so all this is a way off still but looking for direction

Go smaller cid, get light weight rotating assembly so it will rev quickly to around 5900 rpm, after this rpm power drops hence the cork effect.

Hydraulic cam is easier to run in these things due to the fact you have to loosen up the pass side exhaust manifold to remove rocker arm cover to run your valves. Its a pita to do at times so hyd is easier for that aspect. Ive never run a hyd MW motor so not sure what to suggest there other than pay attention to the specs so you dont have crazy high cranking compression which kind of dictates running high test fuel all the time. If you plan on running it 98% on the street and 2% strip, best to focus on street manners, otherwise it can get frustrating trying tune a race motor for street manners especially with an automatic.

Low deck 383/400 won't work with a Max Wedge intake. High deck only.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back