• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Wedge Intakes....Super Vic or Indy Single or Dual plane ??

splicer

Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
Got a set of M/W CNC ported Indy EZ heads on order for my 505 stroker and of course, have to get a manifold to suit.

Other than the cross ram, selection is pretty much limited to Eddy Super Vic, Indy Single Plane, or Indy dual plane.

Any of you have experience with these manifolds ?? I know they'll all make big power but I'd like to be able to drive this thing on the street a little...lol

Thanks
Splicer

What car is it going on?
I heard a Indy 440-3X is a sweet intake manifold but I'm not a fan of buying any more Indy products due to their horrible customer service

I read an article some time back showing the Indy single plane as making most power. I ran one on my 62' for the past few years but honestly couldn't say how much it impacted my "streetability" - given everything else on the motor :)

if i was going to drive it i'd choose the indy dual plane. i have a friend who made 575hp on the dyno with a 508, indy dual plane, cnc'ed edelbrocks, mild roller, and cast iron exhaust manifolds.

More information on the purpose of the engine would be helpful. I get the idea it's not a street car per se.

I've run a ported Indy 3X on the street with a 928 HP normally aspirated 500 wedge. It was fun. A ported Super Victor Max Wedge should be the same or better. The Indy dual plane would stand out as the better street manifold.

More information on the purpose of the engine would be helpful. I get the idea it's not a street car per se.

I've run a ported Indy 3X on the street with a 928 HP normally aspirated 500 wedge. It was fun. A ported Super Victor Max Wedge should be the same or better. The Indy dual plane would stand out as the better street manifold.

I'd like to know more about that combo. 1.85HP per cube street motor?
Doug

IQ52 is correct...not a street car per se....
64 Polara street/strip car, 727 trans 3000 converter, 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears, 3500 lbs, 11.05 at 123 mph with slicks..

Current Engine Configuration: 505 ci, stock Eddy RPM heads, 10.4 CR, Torker intake, Holley 950HP carb, Comp solid roller with 242/248 duration at .050 and .570/.576 lift

Intended Configuration: Same except ported Indy EZ heads, Comp solid roller with252/262 duration at .050 and .607/.642 lift

Car is caged with frame connectors and is very docile on the street at the moment. I don't mind losing some of the docile but still want to drive on the street. No cross country stuff or heavy traffic deals, just local to car shows and cruise nights

Thanks
Splicer

I'd like to know more about that combo. 1.85HP per cube street motor?
Doug

I've "run it on the street" and "street motor" may not be the same things.

The engine was built for the old DynoMax Power To The Wheels Dyno Challenge a few years back.

1090 King Demon on E85
Indy 3X intake
Our ported Edelbrock Victor heads
Custom Erson solid roller .800" lift
440 Source 4.15 stroker w/ Ross pistons 13.5:1
'74 440 block with 4-bolt main conversion

Drove around on the street real nice with 4.56 gears and 4-spd manual. It had to be licensed and insured to be contest legal.

- - - Updated - - -

IQ52 is correct...not a street car per se....
64 Polara street/strip car, 727 trans 3000 converter, 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears, 3500 lbs, 11.05 at 123 mph with slicks..

Current Engine Configuration: 505 ci, stock Eddy RPM heads, 10.4 CR, Torker intake, Holley 950HP carb, Comp solid roller with 242/248 duration at .050 and .570/.576 lift

Intended Configuration: Same except ported Indy EZ heads, Comp solid roller with252/262 duration at .050 and .607/.642 lift

Car is caged with frame connectors and is very docile on the street at the moment. I don't mind losing some of the docile but still want to drive on the street. No cross country stuff or heavy traffic deals, just local to car shows and cruise nights

Thanks
Splicer

Even though I've not used it, I'm still thinking Indy dual plane for street use. I think it will handle all of the heads and cam you intend to use.

Too bad you spent the extra bucks on the ported EZ heads, the RPM heads ported would have been all you needed for that engine and valve lifts, maybe even more. Our normally aspirated 451 on 91 octane made 787 HP with ported RPM heads and the Indy 400-14-3 single plane intake. It too was an interesting ride on the street.

I'm running a Mod Man inline dual 4 on my 500 inch! It picked my car up .4 tenths over the X-ram. I think it's the best bang for the bucks!

Porting the RPM heads was not much of an option given the PITA of getting them across the border and then back again....easier to buy the heads and porting and sell the Eddys...at least with the indy EZ's if I want to run more cam they'll support it....

I get the impression that my "intended" cam is still going to be pretty mild in this motor...any thoughts?

There is one other player in the intake manifold choices....its a mopar performance low rise single plane for original M/W heads...part # P4876337 with integral valley pan....could easily machine away the valley pan.......apparently it flows pretty good....All comments welcome..

Splicer

great combo's there IQ52, thanks for the info...

- - - Updated - - -

Splicer I'd say, if it's only occasional street driving, mainly a track car set-up, then don't worry about the intake too much, just drive it, tune it for the conditions at hand... I've ran full on racecar/track set-ups on the street, not so much to say it's a street car, more of a racecar, just with license plates...LOL... drivability was NOT compromised much at all with any intake, the suspension, tires, gears & loose converter, were way more none-street friendly, than any intake ever was...

great combo's there IQ52, thanks for the info...

- - - Updated - - -

Splicer I'd say, if it's only occasional street driving, mainly a track car set-up, then don't worry about the intake too much, just drive it, tune it for the conditions at hand... I've ran full on racecar/track set-ups on the street, not so much to say it's a street car, more of a racecar, just with license plates...LOL... drivability was NOT compromised much at all with any intake, the suspension, tires, gears & loose converter, were way more none-street friendly, than any intake ever was...

Spoken by a man what sounds like he done knows what he is talkin' about and done been there.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I am running the mod man intake. Its a solid 2500-6500 rpm manifold. Im running the Ez heads with a roller cam Thats 250's duration @50 and north of 600 lift. Its a 12.5:1 E85 street car. It is a OD automatic with a 3600 stall and 3.70 gears. It is extremely streetable.

Auto Transport Service
Back