• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Misfire and backfire

Polo62

Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
I got a 400 big block out of a 77 newport with lean burn I ditched the carburetor and distributor for a points distributor and a holley avenger 770cfm I set the timing around 8 to 10 btdc seems like that's where it ran the best which still is not smooth it misses and backfires threw carburetor and out exhaust I put a vaccum gauge on it it pulls from 17 to 20hg and vibrates back and forth from 17 to 20 my chart says points or carburetor both are new and came from other engines that worked good on it also has new timing set and balancer checks out ok any ideas

pointdown.gif

Try putting a new condenser in the distributor. I almost bet that's it.

New parts store Points and condensers are junk!

I have an old Echlin and Niehoff books. A lot of these old made in USA parts still available.

Compression, and/or leakdown tests. Condensor, and firing order double check also an excellent idea. You mentioned new timing set, did you degree your cam? New parts today must be scrutinized at every step.
Good Luck!!

Compression test.
Smoke test won't tell you much

I have screwed an air fitting into the spark plug hole on compression stroke and plugged in an air hose to find a burnt valve.......it obviously blew air out the tail pipe

I have screwed an air fitting into the spark plug hole on compression stroke and plugged in an air hose to find a burnt valve.......it obviously blew air out the tail pipe
I'll try that next it runs missing but not a dead miss but when you try to go over half throttle it starts backfiring and won't rev it also goes dead every time you put it in gear so I crank it in gear no nuertal safety switch

I'll try that next it runs missing but not a dead miss but when you try to go over half throttle it starts backfiring and won't rev it also goes dead every time you put it in gear so I crank it in gear no nuertal safety switch

Get yourself a new condenser. Don't over think it.

I put another used carb on today quadrajet and it quit backfiring but still has a miss I'll try condenser next thanks everyone

what do the spark plugs look like. how about the coil

Auto Transport Service
Back