• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Molasses cleaning

RJ Squirrel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Fresh out of the molasses drum, these were rusted solid from sitting out in the weeds for decades, starting to flash rust already after hitting with pressure washer. 7-1 water/molasses and 3 week soak

5B24FF73-FD91-4C07-9B85-A909AC302749.jpeg

I have a bunch of stuff de-rusted over the winter with molasses. Works great. Just waiting to get some warm paint weather. 2 sets of headliner bows, couple battery trays, couple clutch/brake pedal assemblies, wiper arms, brackets, etc. After washing, I immediately dry with a towel and then hit them with a hair dryer. Keeps the flash rust to a minimum or none at all.

Do you have before pictures?

Here's a set i did. You have to wash the residue off when you pull them out of the molasses. It's almost like a black greasy substance but a little soapy water and brush will clean them up.

img_20230304_120120-jpg.jpg
img_20230304_120136-jpg.jpg
img_20230310_130616-jpg.jpg

A bucket heater will speed up the process but the "Stink Factor" will increase exponentially. DAMHIK.

Here’s something weird about the large container of molasses, about 55 gallons, that I have. It was stored in a heated garage over the winter and it developed a thick blanket of gel. This blob was tough to remove because of its weight and the closer the blob was pulled, actually by a pitchfork, to the top of the container it just fell apart.

I added about 10 gallons of water back to the mix and it still works removing rust. It is making a film again so I’m thinking I need to start again with fresh molasses.

Just a heads up on my experience to the OP and all others following along.

Mine is sitting on my heated concrete floor and stays 68 degrees. My first batch of parts in December made a bunch of jell like goo, and after I skimmed that off it never did it again. The brake parts were the fourth batch from this same molasses. My parking brake pedal assembly was really bad, after the soak it moved freely and looked great.

I've had decent results in one week.

when I did the hood skin, it made bubbles under the plastic.........it was actually a year ago, so May; not overly hot, but certainly not cold....... anyway, the bubbles stopped after about 3 weeks, so I figured that's when it was done. I pulled it out a week later

IMG_20230512_102926468.jpg
IMG_20230512_102942011.jpg

I heard it's slow.

It's not as fast as acid but the good part is you don't need to worry about it eating metal. Throw it in for a week, a month, a year and the metal will still be there. I've had parts that were ready in 2 or 3 days. Probably depends on how heavy the rust is.

It's not as fast as acid but the good part is you don't need to worry about it eating metal. Throw it in for a week, a month, a year and the metal will still be there. I've had parts that were ready in 2 or 3 days. Probably depends on how heavy the rust is.
I've heard the same thing, but actual experience shows that it will slowly eat metal. I've had pitting show up on hammer heads and other parts, springs fall apart etc. My first molasses tank was a metal drum, it ate a hole through it and the molasses leaked out.

Auto Transport Service
Back