• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mopar mega block

The lifter bores appear bushed to me already
thats the stock eliminator block they had in there for a freshen up,,,,not mine which is not bushed....

IMG_1466.JPG

I see no need to bush. You said you're a street car. Save your money. JMO
mostly street but i do want to get it on the track this year and Stand on it now with this Big Beautiful block !!lllol.

mostly street but i do want to get it on the track this year and Stand on it now with this Big Beautiful block !!lllol.
This is an odd block for sure. Almost makes me think it's a proto type block. Never seen a Mega Block without cross bolted Hemi style caps. Yet this one isn't drilled for them. I have a proto type small block R block. It's stamped #3. Siamese bore but only 2 bolt caps. The front timing cover holes were in the 8.900" low deck location. The main webbing was so thick a stock 340 crank wouldn't fit. It weighed over 40lbs more than my 72 340 block. It's been great in the car for years.
doug

This is an odd block for sure. Almost makes me think it's a proto type block. Never seen a Mega Block without cross bolted Hemi style caps. Yet this one isn't drilled for them. I have a proto type small block R block. It's stamped #3. Siamese bore but only 2 bolt caps. The front timing cover holes were in the 8.900" low deck location. The main webbing was so thick a stock 340 crank wouldn't fit. It weighed over 40lbs more than my 72 340 block. It's been great in the car for years.
doug
yeah i still havent found any documentation for the numbers that the factory painted and stamped on mine. it appears to be a stock replacement service block which is in the MP catalogs also...it has all the features of the mega , its a water block. and that painted block shown above does also But it is in the catalogs and paper work. listed as a max wedge 2 bolt replacement block. where as 4 bolt mains r not legal in stock eliminator. And because it doesnt have the MOPAR cast into it , it Should be a Water block also..

it looks like they made 2 different castings of mega blocks, 1 Water and the other Siamese. they drilled/machined them for various applications only. Hemi or Wedge,, thus the crossbolted bosses on the painted unit above Not drilled, but mine was drilled. None of the hemi oil returns on mine are drilled and only 1 on the above unit both Wedge blocks...But also seems that going back thru old threads elsewhere during there production run supposedly available, They almost Never had inventory to ship. always on backorder and the promise dates always missed...looks like they switched foundrys several times. that would create a shortage....and that could be why they r very Rare units. my 2 cents so far. i'm hesitating from buying every year MP catalogs from 1996-2008 to get a clearer view $$$.....

58F8EFAB-406A-428E-B74E-4FE14A721DED.png

mega-block-1.jpg

heard from the machine shop , glad i sent it to them to check the line bore after studding it they did have to hone it to round slightly they said and i did have it sonic checked...

they said it was all good on All the thrust sides measuring mostly .300 . But 1 cylinder was a little thin on the ""Non"" thrust side at .108..they said dont worry about it and run it. motor will be in the 750 HP range. i dont have the sonic check sheet yet they are closed on fridays. has not been decked yet.

what do u guys think about that ?

here's a good read on the mega blocks , the rest of the story. explains also why there's so few.

I worked at MP as a Chrysler Contractor during the 2005 to 2013 era which allowed info to be collected. Some of it, I even still remember! (Kidding. Sort of)

MC foundry mark in a shield was Motor Castings. Cummins recon (everyone's favorite! kidding...) machined them for crate engine and bare block use at the end.
This was the pre-World block, usually known as Megablock,
even the water version which was noteably less "mega" than the siamese versions which were much more "mega".
Why?
Gearhead slang usually lumped siamese and water together as "mega"but as the I sheet shows, this was not accurate.
In Mopar Land the water block (non siamese) probably should have been sold more as a restoration block even though it had a few upgraded features like thicker
lifter bore bosses. The real megablock was siamese.

Engineering verbal parlance of the older parts referred to either a water block or siamese, to separate them.
megablock was a marketing term that was misused greatly by the public....kind of like "purple shaft".

In 2008 Chrysler sold off the last of the pre-world stuff as the new World Products ones came into pdc stock. For a short period of time, both versions
were sold....but the old ones were gone in a matter of months. I don't know what happened to to the tooling for the older versions but it's probably scrapped
if normal thought and foresight was applied. I don't think any older ones were cast or machined later than '08 but never say never/it's Mopar, unicorns and rainbows are the norm.

The new blocks were casting P5153843.
It was a big deal at the time, enough that I memorized the number.

"World" is a misnomer because World products did not actually cast or machine those.
Dalton Cast them and royal oak boring machined them.
I think World may have created the hardware kit, which many on Moparts said was trash because the main studs were no good.
World products were supposed to manage the entire block program, and they did such an amazing job that by 2014 or so, no more were being shipped.
I was no longer a chrysler contractor by then and was getting 3rd hand information which may be semi-accurate at best. (right here I've deleted a few negative sentences about Chrysler's idiotic decision to stick with the good-turned-horrible contract house as it's just a whiney vent, and not helpful).

My opinion-The block in question is '08 or earlier for sure, and was definitely cast by Motor Castings. It was more than likely machined originally by Cummins recon, but may have been redone by someone else at any time. If you weren't around back then, everyone on Moparts hated everything associated with this division of Cummins with a passion, and complained about quality problems on a regular basis. If anyone dared to post they had a Cummins recon built crate engine that ran good, they were told that can't be true and it would probably blow up tomorrow. Cummins bashing was the norm, all day every day.

If you're looking for identifying marks on the block other than the couple mentioned so far, don't waste your time, there aren't any.
One of the things I personally always disliked about Cummins recon and the older blocks is all the part identification was on a yellow sticker. Peel off the sticker: Good luck, tear it down, get out your mics and calipers and figure it out. The so-called World blocks had laser engraving on front, near the bottom of the timing cover flange with the actual part number on it, to atone for that particular sin. The laser engraving was a suggestion I made, but don't know if someone else also made it before me.

To be transparent, you can't get me going on this stuff without a certain amount of useless drivel, so I hope it isn't too much trouble to sift through all
my nonsense and get whatever you need from it. If I simplify it too much and disregard the context, it either won't make sense or will seem like I am
BSing, so I tend to dump a little context in there where I can. I've got over 8 years of my life wrapped up in that stuff, so the whole thing is just a crazy context
to me.

Looks good to me. (I didn't see the thin spot he said it had.)
yeah me neither which i wont complain about that, they had me sweating all weekend on whether to sleeve it. but that guy was not the 1 who did it.

i had the guy on the phone today who did it and he said he was quite impressed with it,,A good block..he went on to say it was partially siamesed at the tops and bottoms of each cylinder . which i did see that before i gave it to them..a couple inches up and down..another mega block conundrum.....

so line honing done, deck it to stock 10.720, and rough bore it and possibly pick it up end of week and wait for the rotating assembly :thumbsup:

yeah me neither which i wont complain about that, they had me sweating all weekend on whether to sleeve it. but that guy was not the 1 who did it.

i had the guy on the phone today who did it and he said he was quite impressed with it,,A good block..he went on to say it was partially siamesed at the tops and bottoms of each cylinder . which i did see that before i gave it to them..a couple inches up and down..another mega block conundrum.....

so line honing done, deck it to stock 10.720, and rough bore it and possibly pick it up end of week and wait for the rotating assembly :thumbsup:
That’s great news on how it turned out. And coming along quick too.

That’s great news on how it turned out. And coming along quick too.
yeah its a crap shoot on buying these old used blocks but because of what it is i had to take that chance, see it doesn't rain on my house everyday !!lol.,this machine shop gets things done for sure but its going to be hurry and wait for the custom pistons. end of next month i'm told..

found the mopar performance catalog that lists my block, 2001 .
P5007482ab is a Replacement service block that was also used in the crate motors. heavy duty with cross bolted mains. check the catalog pic for all the Upgrades . Again it looks like they used pretty much 2 castings, a siamesed bore and a water between the bores casting and machined for application, Any 1996-2008? service block out there will have these features :thumbsup: .But the early units didnt have the heavy duty lifter bosses like mine .. in the same catalog it lists a 500HP crate motor with stage V heads and a bore of 4.380 which is what this is and had on it..4.15 crank and 9-1 compression. block lists at $2297.00 . also shows that 2 bolt main block i seen at the machine shop that has the cross bolt bosses that were not drilled. all Extinct.

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

Last edited:
Question for u guys running the mega blocks,,,are these the solid roller lifters that the link bar will clear the lifter boss ? isky red zone lifters 3772-lo-180-ezx.

mayby these,,

EnduraMax Roller Lifters Chrysler 440 Mopar Performance & Mega Block Intake offset .903 OD​

SKU
66247E
Be the first to review this product
EnduraMax Roller Lifters Chrysler 440 Mopar Performance & Mega Block Intake offset .903 OD All EnduraMax roller lifters include "NBO" Needleless Bearing Option and "HIPPO" Hi Pressure Pin Oiling..

Severe-Duty Mechanical Roller Lifters Chrysler 426-440,392 & 426 Hemi​

SKU
66233H-2
Severe-Duty Cutaway Oversize Bearing Mechanical Roller Lifters (.903" dia. / .812" Bearing) V8 Chrysler 426-440,392 & 426 Hemi will fit Tall Lifter Bore with Pushrod Oiling and High Pressure Pin Oiling (Pair)

the ones i have out of my std block are 3472-rh. looks like the lifter boss is appx .200 thicker.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I believe I have the 66233H-2's in mine. It's been together now so long that I don't remember.

Question for u guys running the mega blocks,,,are these the solid roller lifters that the link bar will clear the lifter boss ? isky red zone lifters 3772-lo-180-ezx.

mayby these,,

EnduraMax Roller Lifters Chrysler 440 Mopar Performance & Mega Block Intake offset .903 OD​

SKU
66247E
EnduraMax Roller Lifters Chrysler 440 Mopar Performance & Mega Block Intake offset .903 OD All EnduraMax roller lifters include "NBO" Needleless Bearing Option and "HIPPO" Hi Pressure Pin Oiling..

Severe-Duty Mechanical Roller Lifters Chrysler 426-440,392 & 426 Hemi​

SKU
66233H-2
Severe-Duty Cutaway Oversize Bearing Mechanical Roller Lifters (.903" dia. / .812" Bearing) V8 Chrysler 426-440,392 & 426 Hemi will fit Tall Lifter Bore with Pushrod Oiling and High Pressure Pin Oiling (Pair)

the ones i have out of my std block are 3472-rh. looks like the lifter boss is appx .200 thicker.

Thanks.
I've run both Comp and Isky. They both cleared. The Isky's have lasted way longer.
Doug

I've run both Comp and Isky. They both cleared. The Isky's have lasted way longer.
Doug
the isky's that ii have are std seat height,#3472rh, unlike these, isky red zone lifters 3772-lo-180-ezx.

which 1's r u using..

Mine has Red Zones. Seat height was the same as the Comps they replaced. They are bushed. Over 800 passes. Money well spent.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back