• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance valve covers 440ci

Mopar440

Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
Hi, thought I'd do a nice quick job yesterday & fit the new Mopar Performance cast alloy valve covers to the 440. Passenger side won't fit though as it seems to be just hitting the exhaust manifold meaning a tab on the manifold needs grinding off. I lost enthusiasm for this so for now have put the old covers back on (photo of old covers). Anyone else experienced this? This might be the catalyst to get headers made which I've been thinking about for a while - will lead to some expensive valve covers though! Any suggestions to fit these covers without grinding anything? Cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• 440 valve cover.jpg
    440 valve cover.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 549
Well, if you only need a little room you can possibly add two of those metal gaskets per side and seal with high temp RTV. I have never used them so don't know how well they would stack but might be worth a try. Has the manifold been surfaced excessively or surfaced at an angle (i.e. bad job)? Maybe compare to another one?

I have those valve covers "as cast". The passenger side was very difficult to bolt down and the distributor needed to be removed to install.

Considering this thread is 5 years old, I'd guess he has it figured out by now.

Considering this thread is 5 years old, I'd guess he has it figured out by now.

Yeah, I don't get it why people resurrect a old thread like this, I guess they don't look at the dates?

This is the only thread that matched my search. Once the heads are torqued down I don't want to tweak the head bolts to make the valve covers fit. Brand spanking new aluminum valve covers is the new game for me. what should I expect my new aluminum cast alloy covers ???

Do the thicker aluminum covers "wobble" to a comfortable cast iron 440 cylinder head?
Is there a optimum gasket to mate the cast iron to the cast aluminum?

Would these cast alloy aluminum covers mate with 440Source "SuperStealth" heads that are "on sale" and a Keith Black race block??

Yeah, I don't get it why people resurrect a old thread like this, I guess they don't look at the dates?

Is there an entry point, cutoff date when you can ignite your passion for nostalgia? Can a person suddenly wake up one day and decide to learn something new???

...women are kind of fickle and flaky like that...

Today I'm posting on this topic and appreciate any and all positive feedback. may entertain some insightful banter. I am the moderator of this post and would like to share your knowledge.

Eventually I might be putting a supercharger in my hauler truck...is there a statue of limitations??

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back