• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

msd help

L&LClassics

Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
I have a 68 gtx 440 that has the msd 6AL. It was wired before I bought the car and was not mounted anywhere. It was just sitting on the console with wires hanging everywhere. I am not going to act like I know anything about these but I have seen most of you talk pretty highly about them. So if any of you could help me with figuring out where to mount it so it's out of the way, making sure it's wired correctly, and what I can do with all of the hanging wires I would really appreciate it. Here are some photos to show you what I'm working with.....

- - - Updated - - -

I can take more photos if needed....

Attachments

• IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 174
In my humble opinion, I would get the unit out of the cockpit and mount it in the engine bay. Mark all wires before you disconnect. You will find that MSD has an excellent website with all the tech help you might need. It has a really nice troubleshooting guide and installation tips suitable for download. Follow the wiring diagram and don't be afraid to shorten any of the wiring for neat installation. Good luck.

X2 with trashdog. I mounted mine in engine bay on passenger side. I don't have a reservoir to be in the way. MSD does recommend that you do not place unit in the glovebox too. Checkout their website.

I certainly don't have all the wiring cleaned up the way I want because I am installing a complete wiring harness this winter. I was going to that this past summer but why tie up the car during good driving time? I figured I would wait to cut the msd wiring until then.

Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 150
Thanks guys. I was hoping I could mount it in the engine bay. I like the way you did yours xp29h. It would look a lot cleaner, and I will check out the msd website. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 136
So just curious: I was considering mounting mine on the firewall inside the car hidden under the dash. What is the issue with doing that vs. mounting it in the engine compartment? I want a cleaner look and I will be hooking in to a fuel injection wiring harness anyway that exists under the dash.

Appreciate the thoughts....

Hawk

No issue unless you are going to constantly mess with the rev limiter (6AL). I have mine mounted straight up from the tunnel flat against the firewall.

Auto Transport Service
Back