• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 440 Build Thead (clueless builder)

I would opt out of the fitech fuel command center and run an inline electric pump like the aeromotive A1000, and if you want the fitech to control the ignition that distributor will not work, use something like a MSD pro billet

I would opt out of the fitech fuel command center and run an inline electric pump like the aeromotive A1000, and if you want the fitech to control the ignition that distributor will not work, use something like a MSD pro billet
Good to know on the distributor. I was trying to avoid having to run a return line to my tank, thus the command center. I hear they fixed the boiling issues.

Good to know on the distributor. I was trying to avoid having to run a return line to my tank, thus the command center. I hear they fixed the boiling issues.
They might have I haven’t looked into it in a while, I just feel the a1000 pump would be more reliable. I think You can use the corvette bypass filter so you don’t have to run a return the length of the car.

X2 on the fuel command... Holley, Fitech, Aeromotive all make in tank fuel pump conversion kits for around $400-500.
In tank will run cooler and last longer.

I really like solid tappet cams with EDM lifters if a solid roller is not in your budget. No chance of bleed down or pump up and no guesswork on setting up preload. Lash is simple. I am running a Hughes 3842 and it works well. But be advised, the spring pressure for their solids runs 425lbs at lift which is a bit much so I am uncertain on longevity. If and when this cam does go, I will look to another solid from another manufacturer.

I really like solid tappet cams with EDM lifters if a solid roller is not in your budget. No chance of bleed down or pump up and no guesswork on setting up preload. Lash is simple. I am running a Hughes 3842 and it works well. But be advised, the spring pressure for their solids runs 425lbs at lift which is a bit much so I am uncertain on longevity. If and when this cam does go, I will look to another solid from another manufacturer.
It would be a solid flat tappet. What is an EDM lifter?

If you are using fuel injection may I suggest a single plane intake. Though I agree the RPM is the best choice for a carbed street motor there is no need for a dual plane with fuel injection. This will allow for more power up top. On a second note since you are buying pistons and the crank is being cut why not offset grind to BB Chev 2.200" journal/3.90 stroke? Plenty of .990 pin/2.200 piston/rod combos available. Just a little research with very little additional cost. Now you can use better rod bearings and have a lighter rotator.
Doug

Agreed with the single plane intake. I had an Eddy dual plane on my 383 before it spun a couple of rod bearings then switched to a Torker single plane for the 470, the Holley Terminator lines that much better.

When you install a larger supply line use the old line for your return
cooler gas
no vapor

Thanks for the EFI tips. I will think about what I want to do. On other news, I just dropped the block, crank and heads off at the machine shop. They are super backed up so they wont be able to clean and mag the block till about Christmas. I will update everyone when that happens.

Auto Transport Service
Back