• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 67' Belvedere 2 Rebuild

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
It's been two years this coming month since I started replacing the torsion bar anchor and redid the brake lines. She had a tired three eighteen, so I replaced it with 440. Dealing with a dishonest machine shop, whose ad claimed they knew MOPARs. I trusted them, big mistake, they carelessly misaligned the oil passage holes on the number four cam journal. Something I didn't see until months later when I was able to get back working on the car. I with information from a member here invested in a cam-bearing installation tool. The first attempt didn't go too well as one bearing cocked so much that the cam wouldn't go into that particular one. Bought a second set and the cam went in but turned hard. With some croakis coth and a short three-quarter wood dowel. I was able to gain better clearance by sanding each bearing while in the block with a circular motion. Rebuilt the trans before it's installed. One of the most time-consuming things was cleaning, sandblasting, and repainting parts I took off.
Currently, I have been reinstalling the interior, and refinished the glove box door and cluster surround in satin black.
I'm pretty much alone on the project, waiting for a friend who lives an hour away, to get the time to help install the engine and trans.
She's not perfect, but after all this, I have a car that I could afford, just not the B-body I really wanted but was out of reach.
Looking forward to the Woodward Dream Cruise this summer.

41915728_10215825221131144_7208219840232816640_n.jpg

23119931_10213311595732080_1283609487863070796_o.jpg

Great looking car and working on them is part of the jjourney.

@Auggie56 Was your cam bearing tool one of those universal ones? The Belvedere looks good!!

@Auggie56 Was your cam bearing tool one of those universal ones? The Belvedere looks good!!

Looks good from here. Enjoy your car, not everyone wants a car they can't take some liberties with, without devaluing their "investment" in a numbers correct car. Build it your way and drive the wheels off it.......

Looks good from here. Enjoy your car, not everyone wants a car they can't take some liberties with, without devaluing their "investment" in a numbers correct car. Build it your way and drive the wheels off it.......
I'm enjoying my new to me 64 Dart driving it off road like it was a dirt track car....well, I'm being easy on it anyways.

It's one of those "Twenty footers". Looks good till you get up close. It's just a cruiser, happy to just have one.
Nothing wrong with a "Twenty footer" at all. In fact I purposely chose to have a car like that, and everytime I'm out driving it, or in the garage working on it, I'm glad I made that choice.
Nothing wrong with a numbers-matching show car either, it takes all sorts to make this hobby what it is.
I love your car, the feeling you get when you're on that cruise this summer will be unbelievable.

That looks very similar to the one I have....only mine was custom made 30+ years ago.
The thing I found out at least to me the cam bearings are a bit larger than say on GM cars. I'll sell the tool after I put some miles on the rebuild.

The engine is fully assembled and I connected the trans on the floor, so I can install the starter to make sure it will turn the engine over. It was questionable as it rotated extremely hard even with a breaker bar. It turns beautifully. Now waiting for delivery of engine mounts.

Another issue popped up about power booster size, being too big to clear the taller RB engine. That will have to be approached once I get the engine installed. Any comment on this would be helpful.

Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back