• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My dream garage build

cwilson

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:59 PM
Reaction score
Super proud of the garage I'm building and figured you all might enjoy seeing it too. Been working on it for a little over a year (after 1.5 years of fighting the city for permission to build it ) and I can't wait to be fully out of construction mode and turn my full attention to my projects.
Went with a 36x64x14 pole barn with in floor heat to keep me warm in the iowa winters.
20221115_072042.jpg

Wanted to do a little decorative touches cause why not but at the end of the day it will definitely be a working shop. Always liked the 50s diner styling and recently bought a 57 Chrysler so wanted to make it feel welcomed. Didn't like the cost of the diamond quilted stainless steel diner paneling so made my own for one corner

20230505_221516.jpg

Knew I'd need some major storage so bought some used pallet racking and but also picked up a giant collection of parts so the racks are already getting full

Also got a great deal on a jib crane but need to wait til I turn the floor heating on to verify the IR scan so I don't hit the pex. Also didn't plan for a jib so planning some extra reinforcement since 5" concrete is a little thin for that.

20221110_175514.jpg

Been waiting for this for a long time cause doing engine swaps and rear end installs out on my back patio was getting a little old since buying the new place but was the only concrete I had
20210717_172925.jpg

awesome and congrats!!! wife and i are discussing the same plan , we need a shop and storage space asap …

1.5 years of fighting the city for permission to build it
This happens so often. My buddy went through this same as you.
2 years of constant battle. Best part he lives in a very depressed area that you would think they would welcome new tax revenue.

This happens so often. My buddy went through this same as you.
2 years of constant battle. Best part he lives in a very depressed area that you would think they would welcome new tax revenue.
They tried everything in the book and even some stuff that wasn't so I misses building pre-covid by a small amount which about killed me budget wise. 10 houses away from me is outside the city limits and I counted atleast 20 pole barns within an 1/8 mile along my road. Finally had to hire a lawyer to help but won in the end

awesome and congrats!!! wife and i are discussing the same plan , we need a shop and storage space asap …
This whole time I've been joking (sort of) that I need to be keeping notes and write a book of how to do it better next time. Super annoying how very small detail changes upfront would have saved hours in the finishing stage but wouldn't have taken anymore time or money really in the framing stage

This whole time I've been joking (sort of) that I need to be keeping notes and write a book of how to do it better next time. Super annoying how very small detail changes upfront would have saved hours in the finishing stage but wouldn't have taken anymore time or money really in the framing stage
i can imagine! we got a local carpenter we use occasionally, he knows all the tricks , the math , which material to use and where to buy at best price ! he so busy thou it’s hard to get on his list …i’m sure your notes would help a lot of guy’s building a shop ….

Super proud of the garage I'm building and figured you all might enjoy seeing it too. Been working on it for a little over a year (after 1.5 years of fighting the city for permission to build it ) and I can't wait to be fully out of construction mode and turn my full attention to my projects.
Went with a 36x64x14 pole barn with in floor heat to keep me warm in the iowa winters. View attachment 1536053

Wanted to do a little decorative touches cause why not but at the end of the day it will definitely be a working shop. Always liked the 50s diner styling and recently bought a 57 Chrysler so wanted to make it feel welcomed. Didn't like the cost of the diamond quilted stainless steel diner paneling so made my own for one corner

View attachment 1536054

Knew I'd need some major storage so bought some used pallet racking and but also picked up a giant collection of parts so the racks are already getting full

Also got a great deal on a jib crane but need to wait til I turn the floor heating on to verify the IR scan so I don't hit the pex. Also didn't plan for a jib so planning some extra reinforcement since 5" concrete is a little thin for that.

View attachment 1536063

Been waiting for this for a long time cause doing engine swaps and rear end installs out on my back patio was getting a little old since buying the new place but was the only concrete I hadView attachment 1536064
Great looking shop. Local governments, and some of their goofy rules that make no sense. Now, I understand some rules, but sometimes they go overboard

I have a weird question; is that oil pan on backwards?? Never looked at a swepty BB pan before..
And nice garage!!

I have a weird question; is that oil pan on backwards?? Never looked at a swepty BB pan before..
And nice garage!!
I'm used to rear sump truck pans as well and run them in our 4wd stuff. That 383 was in a 68 d200 and looked all original so must be the 2wd pan version and still get to use the block mounted dipstick vs the pan mounted one
20211224_134447.jpg

Has pretty good clearance in front of the axle but might not be the greatest for oil Control when I put the mickeys out back haha

Congratulation on the new shop. I was in Des Moines in August. I enjoyed it there. The cleanest and quietest city I have ever been in.

That’s awesome! I built a 30x56x15 and love it. I’m still working on it. As soon as I get it finished I’m going to build a lean-to on it and another one in the back and then enclose it. The 22x22x10 house garage just wasn’t enough lol.

That’s awesome! I built a 30x56x15 and love it. I’m still working on it. As soon as I get it finished I’m going to build a lean-to on it and another one in the back and then enclose it. The 22x22x10 house garage just wasn’t enough lol.
They're never enough! Although I hit goal one, shop sqft is just slightly bigger than the house plus have started taking over some of the basement as a makeshift swap meet lol

Congratulations on the shop. Looking great!
We built a 36x48x12 in 2020 and I love it. Still working on getting it to where we want it. Few more things to wire and then starting insulation.

Congrats on the shop. Are you going to put a lift in to stop the creeper diving? Sure enjoy mine.

Congratulations on the shop. Looking great!
We built a 36x48x12 in 2020 and I love it. Still working on getting it to where we want it. Few more things to wire and then starting insulation.
What are you planning for insulation? I tell myself a little more planning on the wiring would have been nice but was driving myself crazy so just tried to go a little overboard and get it done

Congrats on the shop. Are you going to put a lift in to stop the creeper diving? Sure enjoy mine.
A lift is definitely on the list. Hoping for next year but still recovering from the build. Been 40 years without one so far, what's another year lol. I've been leaning towards a 4 post with rolling jacks. Kind of nice weighing the pros and cons but for alot of the work I do, a 4 post still is in the lead and can even gain a little extra parking if need be

I have an HD9-XL Bendpak unit, 4 post, with the rolling jack. I got this one as my dually can get on it, after I remove the outer rears. I prefer the 4 over a 2. Better stability. Plus with the work I'm doing on my 65, there is no possibility of sagging anywhere while I'm doing structural work. Add to that the parking under. I have various welders, metal forming machines, bolt bins, tool boxes etc that are all on casters so they can be used when needed or rolled out of the way when not. My unit is stick built so I used up the leftover beam portions, lumber etc to make cribbing and wheel stands. All of that too is on wheels using moving dollies.

60420147304__95B56B9A-A464-4335-B1AC-C451EB90B7A6.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back