• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My plastic rallye dash bezel has cancer

Dibbons

Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
"Customized" my '72 faux wood grain bezel using a Duplicolor textured gray paint advertised as being suitable for dashes, plastic, etc. A year later, I have a growing cancer on my hands and don't feel like tearing the dash up again anytime soon. Besides, I don't know what the source of the problem is either.

DSC01298.JPG DSC01296.JPG DSC01294.JPG

Maybe gasses evaporating out of the plastic.... I try like hell to avoid rattle can paint but sometimes you have no choice.

Surface could have had something on it that prevented adhesion in those spots. Even could have had some moisture. Gets hot in the car, can start to bubble. I would sand off those few spots, clean it, maybe wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol to remove any trace moisture and then respray it.

Did you scuff and primer first? Usually when paint lifts its because the surface prep was not up to par and it never properly bonded. Rattle cans work well if you just treat them as a medium to deliver paint and not as a painting solution. By this I mean scuff the surface, wipe down with wax and grease remover or even acetone to remove unseen debris. Spray an even coat of self etching primer, let sit for 48 hrs to allow the etching compound to de-gas. Apply a coat of regular sandable primer or epoxy primer, allow to dry according to directions, hit with a 600-800 grit sand paper, then apply your paint. If you follow those steps your rattle can paint will be just as durable as something coming out of a gun.

I did the exact same thing about 2 years ago but no such problems...at least not yet. I took my instrument panel out and basically rebuilt it, carefully sanding and cleaning everything.
Is your car out in the sun a lot?
Heres a picture of mine, showing primer and final paint.
IMG_6270a.jpg

Last edited:
Car is parked in a carport in the shade with a "Noah" cover on it. Ambient temperatures here range from 90-100 during the day to 75-80 at night, most of the year. I think it may be due to a second touch-up I tried just prior to installation (too many solvents to evaporate?). But it was weird because it has taken almost two years for it to get this bad. I used all the proper cleaning, sanding, prepping, masking one could think of.

Auto Transport Service
Back