• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neutral Safety Switch

BB64

Local time
10:02 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys... I've got a 65 Belvedere that had a 318/auto in it and I'm swapping in a 440 with a later trans(69). My question is this....Can I use the neutral safety switch from the original cable trans in the later 69 transmission? The later switch has a 3 prong hook up where the cable trans is a single.

No problem with using it! Just check the length of the button! you might have to wire in the later harness.

It's been awhile since I worked on it but it seems like 65 had a nylon activation button and the later 69 one had a steel one. This must be for grounding reasons. I guess I'll find out soon enough when I hook it all up. Thanks.

I know there is a difference in the selecter shaft inside the transmission I belive it was 68 wene the 3 prong plug was adopted over the single wire NSS. I know in 67' b biody the switch was at the bottom of the steering shaft or under the center council for Automatics in 68' & up I belive the 3 prong switch . the answer depends on if you wont to engage reverse lights by the NSS or just Start the car I belive the car would start with the single wire switch . 3 wire switches are dime a dozen at any Auto parts store , the pigtail plug is another story Look at local junk yards for upto 1980's Dodge Trucks they used a similar wire plug pigtail , I robbed one off similar truck & found out my 67 TorqueFlight would not work with the newer 3 prong switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back