• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New engine start up on test stand - wiring question

DWinTX

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
Today I hope to start up my just built poly stroker for the first time. It's on a test stand (pics below, because everyone like pics
icon_smile_big.gif
) I'm down to the last couple of things, and one is the wiring. About all I know about electricity is that it shocks me when I'm stupid. Apparently, I'm stupid a lot.
shocked.gif

So I drew up this chart with the way I think it's supposed to be wired. Can someone who knows what they're doing tell me if this is right? Obviously I want it to start quickly for cam break in.

Couple of notes:

• I'm using a FireCore Ready to Run distributor. My understanding is that this does away with the ECU and ballast resistor. The instructions indicate red to coil positive, orange to coil negative and black to engine ground.
  • The new alternator has the 4 connections shown, but one FLD and the GRD terminals are just threaded holes, no lugs are attached. I'm assuming it grounds through the mount and I only need one FLD lug. Some online diagrams show a FLD1 and FLD2. These are both just marked FLD.

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is my first build and it's been interesting to say the least. Not sure a poly stroker was the best choice for my first build, but I've learned a lot!
EngineStandWiring1.png
Poly1.JPG
Poly2.JPG

Can't help you with the electrical questions. ....but any details on the stroker build?
Cool engine!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

These are the specs:

349 CI

Schneider solid flat tappet cam: http://schneidercams.com/264Fpolysolid.aspx

Chrysler Power Wind Tunnel manifold

stock poly heads

TTI long tube headers

Forged SIR press fit piston rods & ARP fasteners

Scat internally balanced 3.58” crank SCA-934010

Keith Black/Silvolite #1278 flat-top no valve relief piston/pin set 1.658”comp. ht.

Got everything but the headers and manifold from Gary Pavlovich, who is a poly stroker expert. He's done some really radical ones, up to 500hp, IIRC.

Auto Transport Service
Back